Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Neighborhood "Safety" Reply with quote

I live in what would be considered a pretty safe neighborhood. It's mostly middle class with a good school system, and average unemployment. There's cul-de-sac nation for quite some distance, and people are somewhat friendly.

I work in juvenile corrections, and as such have access to the records of anyone currently or formerly in our facility. I looked up one particularly violent offender the other day and noted that he lived just a few blocks from me. It's on a quiet street with little traffic and a big sidewalk, so lots of people walk and job on that road - family members included.

This kid is a legit sociopath - constant and random acts of violence, sexual assault, arson, history of abuse, etc. He's noted on his entry interview as being in a gang and carrying a loaded firearm with him most of the time.

He'll be out long before his 18th birthday, and despite his charges and what they may be, his status as a juvenile prevents anyone from knowing who he is, where he is, or the nature of his crimes. This was something that I hadn't really though about before.

In short, don't forget to be diligent. This kid is young, middle class, clean, good-looking, and beyond dangerous. He's a good example of why you shouldn't trust anyone, and how the boogey man usually looks pretty harmless.

Stay paranoid my friends.

Groinstrike
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, BJJ M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Neighborhood "Safety" Reply with quote

Liver Punch wrote:
I live in what would be considered a pretty safe neighborhood. It's mostly middle class with a good school system, and average unemployment. There's cul-de-sac nation for quite some distance, and people are somewhat friendly.

I work in juvenile corrections, and as such have access to the records of anyone currently or formerly in our facility. I looked up one particularly violent offender the other day and noted that he lived just a few blocks from me. It's on a quiet street with little traffic and a big sidewalk, so lots of people walk and job on that road - family members included.

This kid is a legit sociopath - constant and random acts of violence, sexual assault, arson, history of abuse, etc. He's noted on his entry interview as being in a gang and carrying a loaded firearm with him most of the time.

He'll be out long before his 18th birthday, and despite his charges and what they may be, his status as a juvenile prevents anyone from knowing who he is, where he is, or the nature of his crimes. This was something that I hadn't really though about before.

In short, don't forget to be diligent. This kid is young, middle class, clean, good-looking, and beyond dangerous. He's a good example of why you shouldn't trust anyone, and how the boogey man usually looks pretty harmless.

Stay paranoid my friends.

Ted Bundy anyone???

This should be a PSA, "Knowing your who your neighborhood sociopath is, is half the battle"

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. One of the best tools out there is the sex offender registration sites that you can access in most states via your local law enforcement agency web site or sheriff's department web site.

Granted, it only logs convicted, and compliant with registration act offenders, but it's still a good bit of information to have handy. Putting a red flag on certain homes can greatly influence the choices you make about safety, especially, in this case, if you have kids.

I check frequently, especially if I see some new move ins or for sale signs go down.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right.. though unfortunately, the offender list is pretty clogged with people who aren't a threat to anyone, since it gets used to zealously.. It loses it's ability to be a warning and becomes a meaningless klaxon of fear.
I prefer things that warn me of danger to warn me of actual danger, instead of being laden with false positives to keep me needlessly jumpy.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with Liver Punch. I see all the time now names and pictures of guys we've dealt with in the past that are now said to be training in MMA and stuff like that. Knowledge is power, for sure. Staying aware can keep you alive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: