Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wolfman08
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu and MCMAP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I've actually been working on breaking down different drills I do/have done/am aware of (either on my own, in class, or from research on the internet, and including weapon's training) into how they fit into the components of fitness, so this pretty well fits perfectly into my current research.

Maybe I should make a post out of my research. It might help some other people. Hmmm....

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman08 wrote:
No problem. I've actually been working on breaking down different drills I do/have done/am aware of (either on my own, in class, or from research on the internet, and including weapon's training) into how they fit into the components of fitness, so this pretty well fits perfectly into my current research.

Maybe I should make a post out of my research. It might help some other people. Hmmm....
Please do.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ZEoDoJufA

Here's some quick draw sparring. Two very different styles of it actually. I'm a bit chicken and don't like to be hit. So I work the takedown game. Then Alex and some dude punch each other.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:

Here's some quick draw sparring. Two very different styles of it actually. I'm a bit chicken and don't like to be hit. So I work the takedown game. Then Alex and some dude punch each other.

Very nice. I think it would be a great training idea. It was also cool to see the two different styles, between the takedowns and clinching first, and the punching second. I suppose you could even set other parameters for varying types of work; like declaring one person would attempt to close and clinch and the other would be assigned to punch and clear out, or other such criteria. I like the ideas possible.

One thing to keep in mind, though, just as a precaution, is to not bring too many dice to the training session, lest a D&D session break out. Oh, what fun they were....yeah, I'm a nerd, too.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
MasterPain wrote:

Very nice. I think it would be a great training idea. It was also cool to see the two different styles, between the takedowns and clinching first, and the punching second. I suppose you could even set other parameters for varying types of work; like declaring one person would attempt to close and clinch and the other would be assigned to punch and clear out, or other such criteria. I like the ideas possible.

One thing to keep in mind, though, just as a precaution, is to not bring too many dice to the training session, lest a D&D session break out. Oh, what fun they were....yeah, I'm a nerd, too.

There is another game we play involving pulling styles out of a hat. Basically MMA ruleset. Styles are written on scraps of paper and you draw before each 3 minute round.

Some examples of styles in the hat:
Muay Thai
Aggressive boxer
Ground and pound
Counter striker/sprawl
Dirty Boxer
Drunken Monkey

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

Drunken Monkey, eh? You've got all kinds of styles out there...

If I get to do a sparring class at my school anytime soon, I'll keep in mind different strategies, like side kicking and spin heels, round kicks and using more angles, etc. Lots of good stuff possible. Thanks!

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a small school, if everyone just does their own thing, you will not be exposed to enough fighting personalities.

If you spar with counterfighters all the time, you will be ill-equipped to deal with someone attacking with reckless abandon. same thing with really unorthodox stuff. It can be hard to deal with. Plus it's just fun to do.

Wolfman08
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu and MCMAP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain, re: my research wrote:
Please do

Well, I just wrote about a quarter of it up, and it's already over a thousand words. This might end up being submitted in a two article, because otherwise it's going to be huge. I'll try to finish it up later this week, and have someone spell check it for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: