Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Biskit
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo, Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Nervous about starting Karate Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm 14 years old and am extremely nervous about starting karate.
I'm going to be learning Shaolin Kempo, and the only experience I've had is from when I was 6 or 7 in tae kwon do, and I barely remember any of it.

I'm really scared that I'll be the only beginner my age, that I won't know what to do, that I'll be bad at it, etc...

Should I be this scared?!? My first lesson is this week.

Also, are there any tips for advancing belt ranks quickly? I understand that I shouldn't rush it and it's about hard work, but just some general tips would be good.

And in Shaolin Kempo, do you start with no belt or do they give you a white belt right away?

Thanks a ton!

KarateGeorge
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shuri-te Karate, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Biskit.

Congratulations on beginning martial arts training. Beginning any new activity can be a little intimidating at first, but just remember, everybody was a beginner once, and whether or not there are other beginners in your class with you, the instructor(s) and advanced students will understand you're a beginner and work with you at a level appropriate for your skill. Just go in there ready to learn a new skill and have fun with it.

As for advancing in rank, don't put too much pressure on yourself in moving up ranks quickly. My advice is to just go in there and worry about giving 100% to whatever they're teaching you. Listen to your instructors, ask questions, don't just memorize the techniques, but think about their applications and how to use them, and do everything to the best of your ability - the ranks will follow along as you're ready.

Its been my experience that schools start you out with a white belt, though I guess some schools might make you wait until you've had a little time there. Again though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. However your school ranks their students is up to them, just go in there ready and willing to learn whatever it is that they have to teach you.

I wish you the best and let us know how things go!

white owl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice KarateGeorge and I second it. Be willing to learn and give a 100 o/o. Pay attention and do not be in a hurry to advance it is a journey that takes a life time to master.

AlwaysInTraining
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin Karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your going to feel very stupid when you first start in class (Bowing and doing odd movements and saying commands etc) but everyone goes through this. Also dont be intimitaed by higher grades (black Belts etc) as EVERYONE started at white belt and was no where near as good as they are now. Go with an open mind and try and enjoy it youll be fine.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF Biskit

Totally normal to feel nervous. I was terrified when I had my first lesson, felt like a complete idiot too because I wasn't all that coordinated. Like KarateGeorge and AlwaysInTraining said, even the best maist had to have a first lesson where they were probably didn't have a clue how to do it either.

If you have a good teacher they'll make sure that you know what you're doing. No-one's expecting you to be fantastic at it so just enjoy it. Also don't worry about the age thing. You might be the only one your age but it really shouldn't matter.

mr_obvious
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Frankenstein'd Karate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple things to remember:

1) You're going to be "bad at it," at first. Everyone starts at the beginning. Just show up and absorb.

2) As is usually the case, should any higher belts give you stig -- heh, heh -- they're going to owe Sensei pushups! Respect is paramount in most MAs.

BDPulver
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Knife Training

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember my first time. I was scared to death. Didnt know if i had to bow like they did in the movies. How the training was going to be.

Fast forward 30yrs now. I'm still learning and get nervous occassionally. Its the cycle of life. Dont let it get to you.

I was 14 when i started the 2nd time and I was still nervous. And dont worry bout belt ranks, I wasnt. I was just more excited to be in a school i liked.

So there is some here that has gone through 1 school some 2 , 3, 4 etc.... Nice thing is we all feel that way when we decide to start over.

WireFrame
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just enjoy it.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some good advice here.

Just enjoy it is right. No one is going to be out to bury you on your first night at any school worth its weight. You'll find things getting easier the longer your around and you start falling into the group.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ichi_Geki
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Director of Fudoshin Machi Dojo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with a friend or an associate. That way you have someone to keep you on top of you 'game'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: