Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Neutral!! Reply with quote

Is it possible to define my position as a MAist??

Oftentimes, as I grow older, I feel that I'm at a point of neutrality as a MAist; and perhaps, that's where I've been for these past 5 decades...neutral. Not one way or another...not day or night...not up or down...not left or right...neutral.

In my own MA life, after 52 years on my MA journey, I feel that I have never done that one thing, that noble thing that defines my MA life. Possibly, I have not been truly tested. As a career MA, what have I done?? What have I truly contributed to the MA, to the betterment of another MA, or to my students?? What have I accomplished when it comes to the SKKA/Hombu; past, present, and future?? I'm unknown in any venue known to a MA; I'm not published...I've not created anything of real value...I've not a website...I've not a blog...I've not a podcast...I've not a LiveStream...I've not a YouTube channel...I've no Twitter...I've no MA Facebook page...I've not traveled away from the Shindokan circle!!

Neutral!!

I have said “later” to most anything that required true sacrifice. Later...I will merge outside of the security blanket of the SKKA/Hombu. Later...I will spend a weekend teaching Shindokan to those MAists that are not of the SKKA, not just attend one. Later... I will do this or I will do that. Later...later...later...later. It is too easy to say “later” because I believe my MA "work" to be too important to stop, minute to minute, for something that might interfere with the restless and relentless pursuit of forward motion.

Neutral!!

I'm not bitter, nor am I sorry how my MA life has been; I've had no preconceived notions about my MA journey. It is what it is, and I'm proud of the things that I've accomplished in 52 years...and yet, I'm still searching for that forward motion.

But tonight, I could be wrong in my thinking, but there are still things to accomplish. However, medical issues are preventing it, and as hard as this is, and how hard I've fought to avoid the inevitable conclusion, I might have to walk off the floor for good. Even though I swore to an oath that I'd never, ever, walk away from the SKKA and/or my MA journey.

Neutral!!

I will not be missed in the MA world outside of the SKKA, and to be honest with myself, I won't be missed in the SKKA because I'm not Soke and Dai-Soke, and they were great MAists across the board. Whereas, I'm not!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have hit upon a very important subject. Could possibly be the most important topic on KF.Com

Being like a ship ploughing through water yet leaving the water unbroken.

Teaching neutral is something Ip Man from Wing Chun understood very well; now with two million descents.

To be neutral in combat is being totally aware in the moment and reacting accordingly.

Being neutral is using only what you need nothing more nothing less; practicing efficiency.

Being neutral helps to be more open minded and tolerant.

Being neutral is related to mobility having options open to you.

Being neutral also means to have a high IQ.

Being neutral is a great way to be, even if no one notices probably being neutral is the most difficult path to travel on as there are not many traveling companions that can truly understand why.

Being neutral is being humble, how many humble people are there in the world; not many.

Therefore stay special by continuing to be neutral.

Being neutral implies readiness and not following others blindly.

Being neutral helps a person to choose their actions appropriately.

Always being neutral is the most difficult thing to do because it implies making difficult decisions and there is not always clear easy solutions or actions at hand, yet staying neutral could be the best answer...

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Neutral!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Is it possible to define my position as a MAist??

Oftentimes, as I grow older, I feel that I'm at a point of neutrality as a MAist; and perhaps, that's where I've been for these past 5 decades...neutral. Not one way or another...not day or night...not up or down...not left or right...neutral.

In my own MA life, after 52 years on my MA journey, I feel that I have never done that one thing, that noble thing that defines my MA life. Possibly, I have not been truly tested. As a career MA, what have I done?? What have I truly contributed to the MA, to the betterment of another MA, or to my students?? What have I accomplished when it comes to the SKKA/Hombu; past, present, and future?? I'm unknown in any venue known to a MA; I'm not published...I've not created anything of real value...I've not a website...I've not a blog...I've not a podcast...I've not a LiveStream...I've not a YouTube channel...I've no Twitter...I've no MA Facebook page...I've not traveled away from the Shindokan circle!!

Neutral!!

I have said “later” to most anything that required true sacrifice. Later...I will merge outside of the security blanket of the SKKA/Hombu. Later...I will spend a weekend teaching Shindokan to those MAists that are not of the SKKA, not just attend one. Later... I will do this or I will do that. Later...later...later...later. It is too easy to say “later” because I believe my MA "work" to be too important to stop, minute to minute, for something that might interfere with the restless and relentless pursuit of forward motion.

Neutral!!

I'm not bitter, nor am I sorry how my MA life has been; I've had no preconceived notions about my MA journey. It is what it is, and I'm proud of the things that I've accomplished in 52 years...and yet, I'm still searching for that forward motion.

But tonight, I could be wrong in my thinking, but there are still things to accomplish. However, medical issues are preventing it, and as hard as this is, and how hard I've fought to avoid the inevitable conclusion, I might have to walk off the floor for good. Even though I swore to an oath that I'd never, ever, walk away from the SKKA and/or my MA journey.

Neutral!!

I will not be missed in the MA world outside of the SKKA, and to be honest with myself, I won't be missed in the SKKA because I'm not Soke and Dai-Soke, and they were great MAists across the board. Whereas, I'm not!!

Having never left your SKK roots is not a position of neutrality. You were fortunate enough to find your passion early in life. You have made a lifelong commitment to SKK and influenced your Soke and Dai-Soke I am sure. You are helping rebuild your organization after a terrible loss. I suspect you have had at least a minor influence on the direction of the SKK over the years. You have influenced the lives of thousands or more students, training partners, your own Senseis, and competitors (both on and off the mat). Published? I thought you were writing a book. How about the articles you have written?

As far as social media you can start participating. However, I seem to remember a poetic denial of ever having a facebook account.

If you disappeared from the boards, I would wonder where you went.

If you do have to walk off the floor, you could write an SKK book. You would have the time.

You also started a business. In a niche industry. That is difficult.

I am a Security Officer for a hospital. While not direct patient care I do work closely with mental health patients and the nurses who care for them. Most of the clients are repeats. Talk about a potentially unfulfilling field.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: