Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kalania
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: new here and new to MA (mcDojo area? :() Reply with quote

I'm starting to look into Martial Arts...I'm 24 yrs old and severely overweight as a result of 2 childbirths. (and I was overweight before that too...only now its alot worse)
I've been doing research and have found about 5 dojos near me. Funny enough 3 of them are all Shorin Ryu (including the 2 that are in my town), 1 of them is a confirmed McDojo (couldnt afford it if I wanted to) and the last is a new dojo 20 minutes away that is Tae Kwon Do. Unfortunately other then the Tae Twon Do, the others seem like they might be McDojos too..

Here's the websites for some of the Dojos I have found:
http://www.okinawankarateinstitute.com/index.html
www.northeastkarate.com (Mcdojo....seems like it? Also did not respond to emails )
http://www.eastcoastkarate.net/ (unsure...didnt respond to emails)
Gouveia's Tae Kwon Do - no website (could be a good thing?) emailed me back with the price structure. Scared me when they told me it was $350 for 3 months...but corrected it while I was typing out as $150 (Is that good....it includes a uniform) They also offer half off other family members memberships)
(The confirmed McDojo is Ichiban Karate Studios of Wakefield RI)

So far my only real choice seems to be Gouveia's. Would Tae Kwon Do be a bad idea for someone as overweight as I am. (I weigh about 200lbs and am 5'4" and have short legs) I am hoping to lose weight and get in shape also by doing this.
Does anyone have any advice concerning the websites....do they seem legit? Unfortunately I can't travel too much (20 minutes in either direction is my limit) so cities like Providence and New Haven are out.

My 4 yr old is begging to do Karate too (she'll be 5 in Febuary) While it may be because she loves Spongebob (She does after all) I think it might be a good thing for her. (She is a bit of a wimp and full of energy but has an uncommonly long attention span for a 4 yr old...)
I'd love to look into this Okinawan Karate Institute since its so close (As soon as I saw their location I knew where they are) still waiting on an email from them though.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: new here and new to MA (mcDojo area? :() Reply with quote

Kalania wrote:

Would Tae Kwon Do be a bad idea for someone as overweight as I am. (I weigh about 200lbs and am 5'4" and have short legs) I am hoping to lose weight and get in shape also by doing this. . . .

An excellent idea, Kalania. In the beginning, you'll likely find it's more like exercise using martial arts, getting your body prepared for martial art applications to come.

Quote:

My 4 yr old is begging to do Karate too (she'll be 5 in Febuary) While it may be because she loves Spongebob (She does after all) I think it might be a good thing for her.

Good for her. I'll bet she's a doll. You're right, Mom, it'll be a good thing for her. She'll have a blast.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kalania, welcome to the forums!

Its hard to tell how good a school is just based on their website. They could be an excellent school with great teaching and a poor website, or could be a great school that's really trying hard to draw in the crowd so their website may look a bit McDojo-ish. I think your best bet would be to try a couple of classes at each. Most schools will let you have a trial lesson and in going there you can experience first hand what the teaching's like and whether it suits you. You also get a chance to see the instructors first hand and find out whether they are genuine or not.

As for the sites you listed, I tend to look at the photos and videos as an indication of what is taught. I wasn't overly impressed with any of them. But then again I didn't find anything that would stop me from going to have a look in person. Just asking, but what has confirmed that Ichiban Karate Studios is a McDojo? I had a look at their website and it didn't seem that bad.

FYI, I've been doing TKD for around 8 years now. I weigh about the same as you (although I am a bit taller). Don't worry about it. You don't have to be fit to start MA, MA gets you fit as you train. Its never been a problem for me.

Kalania
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find reviews of the place plus this thread ...its a little old, but RI (especially South County) is a pretty small place so its likely that place he's mentioning.

I'm really leaning towards the Tae Kwon Do.....if my daughter is not old enough for that school, then she can always start when she is when she's old enough. (I can afford it too....the prices I'm finding around here are starting to scare me.....)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wecome to KF, and welcome to the world of Martial Arts! Be forewarned, MA training can become addictive! Now, as for the sites you showed:

Well, one thing I don't like is 45 minute classes. I think you need at least an hour for a class, in order for it to be productive.

I wouldn't pay $150 per month for a class, either.

Aside from that, like DWx said, its hard to tell by looking at the websites. You should really go visit each school, watch a few classes, and then make a decision. Also, ask questions when you go.

I was wondering, how did you confirm that any of the schools were a McDojo?

Kalania
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see above From reviews I've found.
I didnt say $150 a month...they quoted me a rate of $150 for 3 months with a free uniform (and $95 a month after that 3 months) However with the Northeast Dojo, I found a review saying it was $140 a month! (way way out of my price) Also the Tae Kwon Do place has been the only place to answer my email. (Okinawan Karate didnt even answer the phone!)

I can afford the $95 a month (although it'll be expensive) but since they also offer half off for each family member I think they sound promising, so I am going to try to get down there (up? lol) to watch a class this month. (The other one thats $140...I'm not even going to bother with....that is way out my price range for one person)

Oh right too....their classes are 1 hour and 15 minutes long.

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kalania,

I don't think your weight should deter you from joining any program you like. When you said you were severely overweight, I imagined you'd be heavier than 200# and 5'4". I had a friend who started karate at about your weight but 5'6". It was tough at first, but he lost weight very quickly. Your mileage may vary, as he was training about 5 or 6 days a week.

As far as which dojo I'd recommend, like everyone else said, you can't tell much from the websites. You really should check them out in person. Since you're interested in adult and kids classes, you might want to check both out. See what kind of vibe you get there.

You mentioned how expensive NE is. They offer MMA and kickboxing in addition to karate. They might have lower rates if your interested in only part of that. And most schools will have some kind of family discount. You might want to ask about it at any school you're considering even if they don't mention it on their website.

Oh, and as far as TKD goes, yeah, stocky with short legs doesn't make you their ideal body type, but if you like the school, I'd say go for it. One thing that is important in most TKD programs is flexibility, but I'd imagine that you'd have plenty of time to work on that before they required you to do a full splits or anything like that.

Good luck!

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with everyone else, go take a look at each. See which will suit your needs and goals the best, espically at this stage. There's always time to cross train or take up a different art as you become more involved.

As important as how your goals match what the art teaches is the personalitites at the gym. It's way eaiser to stay motivated when you actually enjoy spenind time with the other people you train with. It's a major factor to consider and one you'll certainly have to go in to check out.

I'd also ask about family rates when you go in. Not all of a school programs are often covered on the website.

Good luck.

Kalania
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Okinawan Karate place got back to me...I was happy to hear that they had the same price as the Tae Kwon Do Place (well except no starter 3 month deal) Still expensive, but my daughter would be able to go for $45 a month. (Its only once a week) I could actually manage 4 times a week at that place. (Since its alot close and classes arent until after 6 for adults)

I was also really happy to see that not only could I go in and watch a class...but I can attend and participate in 2 classes for free!

I may think about taking their offer of 6 weeks for $99 + uniform (Its a November offer...a bit earlier then I wanted) just trying to think if it will interfere with Christmas (I go out of town for Christmas) or with after New Years (I am going to Disney then)

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalania wrote:

I was also really happy to see that not only could I go in and watch a class...but I can attend and participate in 2 classes for free!

Dojos/dojangs that encourage coming in to watch a class, and offer taking either a certain number of classes (in this case, two) or a couple of weeks without cost are the sounder ones to become involved with. They want people to join who know that they want to study there, and during the free sessions, you'll feel welcome not only by instructors but by others who are already students.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: