Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got email notification of 2 recently released books:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: The Master Text" by Gene Simco

"Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory & Technique" by Renzo Gracie, Royler Gracie, John Danaher, and Kid Peligro

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Theory and Technique isn't all that good. Many of the tecniques are very cool, but it has way too many things like headlock escapes (something like 5) and even has a guard pass guaranteed to get you caught in the triangle every time. However, besides the techniques I've complained about, the pictures are crisp and the explanations are detailed. Cool Stuff.

The Master Text, I've heard, is awesome, and I plan on buying Mr. Simco's new book on BJJ for beginners when it's released.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-02 20:24, three60roundhouse wrote:
and even has a guard pass guaranteed to get you caught in the triangle every time.

Which pass is that ? From memory none of them do, providing you do it right. =p I know a few guard passes and it's easy to get caught in a triangle if you have one arm in and one arm out. The arm you're not underhooking with at the time must have the elbow of that arm tightly against your hip.

If the pass isn't working for you, try another pass! Have you tried controlling the knees, pushing them to one side & placing your weight on them, then moving up into side control ? Double underhooks, getting to your feet, stacking them, then moving into side control, or flipping them over ?

BJJ Theory & Technique is a really poor book which includes moves that are just added to fill up the book. Tying up the belt, elbows & sidekick (performed very poorly!), get out of simple wrist locks.

Don't plan on buying Gene Simco's book 'cause of the $20 US postage.

When I get the cash I'm going to buy John Will's book which you can get at http://www.bjj.com.au (has samples of his techniques too) , I've been to his seminars and the way he teaches is nothing short of phenomenal and I'm confident the quality of his books will be very high. His latest books are geared at incorporating grappling & striking

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: