Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: New Job Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

So I’ve recently been offered a job to be a head karate instructor for a franchise called Premiere Martial Arts. The “style” of karate I’d be teaching isn’t really karate at all, as I’ve been told it’s a blend of various styles and Krav Maga. I saw the job offer on indeed, applied with some videos of myself demonstrating a list of things they wanted to see and was selected for the job. Next month, I’ll be attending a week long “instructor seminar” and that’s all I know so far.

Before we jump to any judgements, please know that this is a fantastic JOB opportunity for me and one that I’d like to take full advantage of. It’s much more than I’m making now and the owners seem to be huge on giving back to the community - good people.

I’ve been doing various styles of martial arts my whole life, mainly focusing on Shorin Ryu and Goju Ryu. I’ve assisted my instructors many times for both kids and adult classes and I’ve been a yoga teacher for the last 5 years, having taught both adults (mainly) and kids classes as well.

Has anyone heard of this franchise before? Any knowledge you can share?

How can I be the best instructor for these students? There will be both kids classes and adult classes.

New instructor tips? Franchise tips?

Any wisdom or advice you can share?

Everything about this opportunity looks and feels great, it’s just the franchise part that’s throwing me off a bit. Switching from traditional styles to this new blend. I’m excited! But still want to make sure that I give it my best.

Thank you!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you luck! This sounds like a fun opportunity to put doing what you love into making a living.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! No judgement at all, it sounds great. As for tips, I would take the time to look for some free resources on classroom management and pedagogical standards. Skillshare has a free trial (and you can get a longer one if you find a YouTuber who is sponsored by them like Girlfriend Reviews and use their promo code) so I would browse their library. Even though it might now have much to do with karate classroom management, I became a better MA teacher when I learned how to be an English teacher because I was able to transform those lessons to be relevant to the dojo.

Otherwise, like with most things, instructing requires patience, good humor about your own mistakes, and a willingness to learn. Be open and honest with both yourself and your students. Don't be afraid to invite outsiders in for feedback. Don't let the job aspects make you forget why you wanted to do this in the first place.

Good luck!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Job Reply with quote

It's been several years since I've been inside one of their schools on one of my stealth missions, so, they might've changed here or there, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Has anyone heard of this franchise before? Any knowledge you can share?

I've heard of this business and that it's been around for some time now.
They've an effective Business Model, which makes it one of the most successful chain of martial arts studios of its kind in the world with outstanding growth in unit openings, membership sales, and overall net income.

I've been inside a few of their schools from time to time; one has to know their competition. They teach kids and adults in different styles; I never saw any mixed aged classes; either it's all kids or all adults. Their schools are clean and well lighted; well laid out space and well stocked.

Quote:
How can I be the best instructor for these students? There will be both kids classes and adult classes.

Well, if you don't know that, then perhaps it's not the opportunity for you. What I know is that they've a certain way to each for the kids and adults. Fast paced classes with many classes observed by Management.

I'd say, just follow their method of teaching, be enthusiastic, be positive in your corrections and teachings; kind of like the QRIS method used in many child development schools across the USA.

Quote:
New instructor tips? Franchise tips?

Teach; that's what they'll expect of their instructors. Don't worry about the franchise tips unless you're the franchisee. The franchisee has spent a small fortune to obtain said franchise, and with that in mind, follow their guidelines to the letter because any actions that cost the franchisee will roll down hill.

Quote:
Any wisdom or advice you can share?

Just teach!! Be confident!! Relax!! If Your social grace is up to par, then I believe that you'll be fine. Like any job, the pros and cons will be there, so I'd not dwell on them so much.

Teach...teach...teach...believe in yourself and in your teaching effectiveness. Remember...Proof is on the floor!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Sean!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: