Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

irishwhistle
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes good sense about the belt fees... I'm fairly literal, so when they say "belt" I don't think of the various fees involved in the testing, I think... well, belt. What an expensive belt. Silly, really. Thanks for the clarification.

As for the sparring gear, however, I can't agree. I looked at the items they use and it's just the Macho Dyna sparring gear, head and fist only. In a brief search I have found that even the Macho website charges $10 less than he does and there's even sale items as low as half, plus a set including footguards and mouthpiece for $50. Yeah, he's got them on hand. Of course he does. Both locations keep plenty of items on hand to sell to students, which is fine, they need to make money.

But the used car salesman tactics, building up the price and tossing in a copy of his sensei's recently published karate book (I forgot to mention that one) to make the bundle look like a deal, and never so much as mentioning the option of shopping around even after I didn't buy the bundle... I just wish you could just sign the kid up and have a supply list like in my art classes, a couple of recommended shops, the rest is up to you. That's how I'm used to doing things. Not the old, "It's usually $300 but we're having a promotion right now and I can sell it to you for $200, but this is a limited time offer, and you get all the things she's going to need..."

Well, I've already ranted about that. I need to go put a band-aid on someone so I'll stop.

irishwhistle
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot, I got so busy ranting I forgot I had a question. How soon do they need foot padding? The 6-piece gear bundle is such a good deal, but it seems silly to buy an unnecessary pair of foot guards. The guy at the school hasn't even mentioned it.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the school, really... I do a different martial art and never need it, some Karate schools never need it, some only get up to the contact that needs it later on in the ranks, some throw people into the deep end right away.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishwhistle wrote:
Shoot, I got so busy ranting I forgot I had a question. How soon do they need foot padding? The 6-piece gear bundle is such a good deal, but it seems silly to buy an unnecessary pair of foot guards. The guy at the school hasn't even mentioned it.

I don't think they do much good, but many tournaments require them.

irishwhistle
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, then it's sounds likely that this one just doesn't use them, and that it's probably going to be superfluous in any case as she'll likely outgrow it by the time she goes anywhere near a tournament. Thanks!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irishwhistle wrote:

As for the sparring gear, however, I can't agree. I looked at the items they use and it's just the Macho Dyna sparring gear, head and fist only. In a brief search I have found that even the Macho website charges $10 less than he does and there's even sale items as low as half, plus a set including footguards and mouthpiece for $50. Yeah, he's got them on hand. Of course he does. Both locations keep plenty of items on hand to sell to students, which is fine, they need to make money.

Ok ignore what I said then, must be a difference because you're in the US . The Dyna prices match up to what I can get them for over here in the UK.
Is the Macho dipped foam gear the only type you can use? I don't really rate it all that good mainly because it doesn't last very long at all. If you have to use it, you will need to factor in having to replace the gear every year or so depending on how much you're using it. Mainly in the foot and hand pads the foam will start to rip where it creases and the underside of the foot will start to come away. A little tip to extend the life of them is to use superglue to mend the tears but that'll give you a few months extra use at the most.

As its a common brand of sparring gear that you can get elsewhere, I would insist to the guy that you buy your own. Just be sure to check whether he requires the open or the closed finger Dyna glove and what colours are allowed and there really shouldn't be a problem. If you can buy it yourself, FYI a lot of places will sell the bundle of equipment for less than buying all the individual components e.g.: http://www.bytomic.com/detail.asp?c_urn=11&show=Combat+Kits&urn=294&pg=1

WRT the foot pad question, it'll depend on the school as to when they require it. In my TKD school foot pads are required from the same time you buy all your other gear but other places might not do so much kicking.

irishwhistle
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've found so many deals online that beat his price. But I don't think I'd be too worried about durability if I get her a set now because she's right at the top of her size, so most likely she's going to need a new set anyway by the time it starts to weaken. After that, however, I'll keep what you say in mind. That's not a very impressive product life span.

The question now is whether to do it or wait. We're paid up for a month during which I hope to find another nice but more affordable dojo. She likes this one but I have two older kids who need their teeth straightened so I've got to watch costs. Anyway, it seems like they just work around her not having it. Today the teacher just had her do things a little differently from the others, and they only spar for a few minutes a week anyway. It's enough that, even after all the searching and discussion, I think I'll wait... the next dojo may prefer different gear.

evergrey
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: kyokushin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dojo provides basic sparring gear. Kids are required to get their own mouthguards ($3) and if they are going to spar in a tournament that requires a bunch of gear, sometimes they get their own... but if they cannot afford it, they can borrow the dojo gear.

On the other hand, my dojo is owned and run by people who have (other) day jobs, so I am sure that makes a difference!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: