Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Are you tired of threads like this one?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
No
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 6

artistry
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: New to martial arts. Can't choose style. Help :) Reply with quote

Hello,
I'll try my best to be specific, cause I'm sure there were lots of threads like this one. I'm 20yrs olds. The only sports i did was track and field (sprinting). I like to box(amateurly(very) of course), well maybe because it's the only thing i know how (and it's easy) to do.

Pros:
Athletic, strong(?).
Cons:
Lack of stamina, not flexible.

I'm seeking for a martial art which :
*would help me to get in shape
*won't cause stress(sedentary martial art ,i mean, and at the same time not) I'm very calm(sometimes emotions flare up, but i keep them inside me).
*would help me to respect all people.
*would teach me self-defence(and of course one or two attacking techniques).
*would have history.

I don't like brutality. I know everything depends on me, but I'm not sure if i would have more than 1-2hours time for home-training(apart from training at martial art school). I'm interested in Wing Chun styles, don't like ground ones, but don't know which one i like the most.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to martial arts. Can't choose style. Help :) Reply with quote

artistry wrote:
Hello,
I'll try my best to be specific, cause I'm sure there were lots of threads like this one. I'm 20yrs olds. The only sports i did was track and field (sprinting). I like to box(amateurly(very) of course), well maybe because it's the only thing i know how (and it's easy) to do.

Pros:
Athletic, strong(?).
Cons:
Lack of stamina, not flexible.

I'm seeking for a martial art which :
*would help me to get in shape
*won't cause stress(sedentary martial art ,i mean, and at the same time not) I'm very calm(sometimes emotions flare up, but i keep them inside me).
*would help me to respect all people.
*would teach me self-defence(and of course one or two attacking techniques).
*would have history.

I don't like brutality. I know everything depends on me, but I'm not sure if i would have more than 1-2hours time for home-training(apart from training at martial art school). I'm interested in Wing Chun styles, don't like ground ones, but don't know which one i like the most.

Just about any martial art will meet all of your criteria except for that "sedentary" part. Martial arts relieve stress, they don't cause it, so I'm not sure why you would want something "sedentary", especially if you want to improve your fitness. Tai Chi is "sedentary" and will improve your strength, flexibility, balance, and muscular endurance but won't do much for your cardiovascular endurance. Aikido will get you moving around more and help the cardio, but you'll be throwing people around and getting thrown and working joint locks.

Again, just about any martial art out there will meet all of your requirements but that "sedentary" one
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Elizabeth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shudokan karate: Blue belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest aikido. There's a difference between not causing stress and being sedentary. I took aikido for a while in college and found it enjoyable and not stressful.

rmurray
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't that important what style you choose. Learn about the different programs in your area. Look online, make some phone calls. Just the information about location, schedule and pricing should shorten your list. Visit and sit in on classes on the short list. See how they train. Talk to the instructors afterwards. The right school will find you and you wont have any decision to make.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What martial arts are available in your area, artistry? Welcome aboard.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

artistry
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New to martial arts. Can't choose style. Help :) Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:

Just about any martial art will meet all of your criteria except for that "sedentary" part. Martial arts relieve stress, they don't cause it, so I'm not sure why you would want something "sedentary", especially if you want to improve your fitness. Tai Chi is "sedentary" and will improve your strength, flexibility, balance, and muscular endurance but won't do much for your cardiovascular endurance. Aikido will get you moving around more and help the cardio, but you'll be throwing people around and getting thrown and working joint locks.

Again, just about any martial art out there will meet all of your requirements but that "sedentary" one

Thank you. Maybe "sedentary" isn't the right word, what i meant was "even-tempered", "calm", if that helps.

Quote:
I'd suggest aikido. There's a difference between not causing stress and being sedentary. I took aikido for a while in college and found it enjoyable and not stressful.

Thank you.

Quote:
It isn't that important what style you choose. Learn about the different programs in your area. Look online, make some phone calls. Just the information about location, schedule and pricing should shorten your list. Visit and sit in on classes on the short list. See how they train. Talk to the instructors afterwards. The right school will find you and you wont have any decision to make.

Thank you. I'm planning to do so(after this "research"). Been to MMAs classes(just watched), not my cup of tea.(just too brutal)

Quote:

Thanks,

Patrick

Thank you. There are a few :
Ju-Jutsu, Aikido, Shotokan, Wing Chun, Wing Tsun, Wudang Tai Chi, Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Taekwondo.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say karate(but its because i'm karate practicioner myself).
The best would be for you going to each class, and see for yourself how each look, and if it suits you. Also try asking about the instructor, price, how many hours a week etc.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Cool, that should help people make good recommendations for you.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New to martial arts. Can't choose style. Help :) Reply with quote

artistry wrote:
Wastelander wrote:

Thank you. Maybe "sedentary" isn't the right word, what i meant was "even-tempered", "calm", if that helps.

Quote:

Thank you.

Quote:

Thank you. I'm planning to do so(after this "research"). Been to MMAs classes(just watched), not my cup of tea.(just too brutal)

Quote:

Thanks,

Patrick

Thank you. There are a few :
Ju-Jutsu, Aikido, Shotokan, Wing Chun, Wing Tsun, Wudang Tai Chi, Kyokushin, Muay Thai, Taekwondo.

Given that list, go check out the Tai Chi, Aikido and Jujutsu (I'm assuming this is a Japanese Jujutsu school and not a Brazilian JiuJitsu school) dojo, as they are probably going to be the most "calm" martial arts in the bunch
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

artistry
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the informative replies.
I looked at Tai Chi school in my area. It offers 3 main programs (have to choose 1 of course ) :

*Taoist qigong*
*Traditional Chinese medicine studies
*Self Massage
*Wugdang Taichi basics and 13 form
*Taoism meditation

*Taoist qigong
*Wudang kung fu stance, steps
*Wudang Taichi 13 form
*Wudang staffs basics and WuDang 8 Immortal Staffs form

*Taoist qigong
*Wudang kung fu stance, steps, form
*Wudang Taichi sword
*Fa Jing (energy hitting)
*Sticky hands technique

Which one is most useful if i want to learn to fight(well, defend myself ^^)? I'll go to see those in action, but i need your opinions first.

Here's a short bio about sensei:
*Nine years of Tai Chi, Qigong and meditation practice;
*Three years in medical school of "Nei Jing".
*Three months in China Wudang school.

I looked at Wing Chun school. This school looks really legit.
They write that Sifu aims to train students so they would:
*get more physical strength.
*learn self-defence actions(that could be used for good purposes).
*prepare themselves psychologically for a fight.
*learn and would spend their free time well.

Some info about Sifu himself:

*Began to practice martial arts since 1995
*Had been practising Tae Kwon Do for one year.(Stopped training due to a leg injury).
*2001-2003 studied the Wing Tsun system for three years.
*In 2003 came voluntarily from IWTA organizations.
*In 2003 had interest in other martial arts. Acquainted with Kudos (Daido Juku), boxing, judo, kali and Shotokan Karate styles.
*Since 2004 has been studying Wing Chun Kung Fu.
*August 2004 became Wing Chun martial arts instructor, and an association board member.
*In August of 2008 got a master's degree.
*In August of 2010 got a 2nd master's degree.

So my question would be, is this Sifu looks, well, professional enough(I do know that i have to meet him in person)? And is Wing Chun better than Tai Chi(not in general, but from those 3 Tai Chi programs) as a way to learn to defend myself properly? I don't expect these questions to be answered, i know these are difficult to answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: