Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IdiotSavant
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: New Uniform Time! Reply with quote

Good day, everyone;

It's getting to be time to pick up a new dogi; I'm looking for a medium-weight cotton or brushed cotton-canvas karate gi, with a twist: I'd like to find one with an extra-long jacket, such as those offered by Anshin Designs (The #92 style) or the Hayashi Legend dogi shown here. If at all possible, I'd like to keep the price under $100 dollars; about 80 dollars would be most appropriate.

If anyone has a review of either of the above uniforms, and perhaps a US retailer for the Hayashi, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Also, if you have worn one of these 'long-tail' styled unforms, I'd love to hear your opinions on them.

So, any suggests for brands I might have missed? Both of the unforms above have jackets reaching to approximately 2" above the knee; this uniform will be my only current uniform, so I'd like to get something of decent quality.

I thank you for your time.

IdiotSavant

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear a Century Heavyweight and it suits me just fine.
What style do you practice? Knowing your needs can be helpful in determining what uniform to buy.

Personally I would stay away from a "long-tail" uniform, because I wouldn't want it to hit my face when I kick (my belt already does that ). But that's just me; if you don't kick high or often in your style, long-tail would be fine.
I've never cared much for Ikon's uniforms...they're comfortable but they don't give me any "pop" in the sleeves when I punch.
Century has custom uniforms...custom sizing, colors, trim, material etc. You name it. I don't have any idea on a price range, though. I guess it depends on how many "options" you want.

By the way, make sure you introduce yourself on the Introductions Forum!

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

IdiotSavant
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, there I go leaving things out again;

The style I'll be studying is a variant of Karate; perhaps a bit of grappling, but not much. General use; no particular requirements other than those I mentioned above; kicks in this style generally don't hit above the waist. Watch your knees, though.

The reason I'm staying away from Century is the last time I checked, the only uniforms available from them were cotton-poly blends, and those things become quite the furnace after an hour or so; also, the quality was TERRIBLE. However, this was a good 2 or 3 years ago; perhaps build quality has improved since then?

IdiotSavant

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Force gi's tend to have longer tops than other brands and can be had for reasonable prices. They also come in a range of weights: 6,8,10,12 and 14. They also come in either poly cotton or 100% cotton.

LOILOI44
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know where to get a pair of pants with an elastic waist? Reinforced knees perfered.

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even be able to tell you what kind of gi I wear/how much it originally cost. My sensei gave it to me when he bought a new one.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pro Force poly cotton gi's are elastic waist. Even the 10 oz ones.

gheinisch
KF VIP

Styles: Hon-Shin-Do - Shodan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Elastic Waist Reply with quote

Hey LOILOI44,

I just purchased a middleweight GI from Century. It has a 3" elastic waistband. It fits great and I like it just fine and the quality seems to be very good. The cost was forty bucks. You can check their web site out for more details. Hope this helps a little.

See Ya,
Gheinisch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Century doboks either. The ones I had/have shrink. They fit great when you first get them, but they shrink bad. I like Pro force brand. I have two of them (from my TSD school), and they fit great, never shrank, and they can take a beating. I still wear the pants to my Pro Force dobok with my TKD top, because the Century pants got too small. And they are still holding strong. Very good quality I say go with Pro Force

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Laur on the Century uniforms and with Sai on the ProForce. I have the PF Instructors polycotton uniform (I think my pic is still in the photo album above under portrait section).
Get this blend to insure that the uniform won't shrink as much .... however, the 100 % cotton is much more absorbant!
I'll throw some more names out at you like Addidas (80.00 on sale for 57.00), Nike (very awesome! very pricey but worth it if you are only going to have just one uniform to use!), Meikyo, TigerClaw, Tekno, RheeMax.....

..... uniforms for Taekwondo, Karate, Hapkido, Kendo, Kenpo, Moo Duk Kwan, Tang Soo Do, Judo, Ninja, Master and Grand Master uniforms
http://www.allblackbelt.com/index.html?1109 ..... awesome music to shop by .....

Oh and LOILOI44
... dontcha just hate it when all you need are some "elasticized" pants and you have to buy the whole darn uniform??? They sell separates here too.

... and when you find that shopping for martial arts sucks .... where do you go???
http://www.shoppingsucks.com/listings/recreation_sports/martial_arts/
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: