Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: New York and Nunchucks Reply with quote

This is a law nobody I ever knew thought made sense. People are not allowed to sell or carry nunchucks in the state of New York because they are a concelled weapon.
But there are a few things I see wrong with this law that just make it so it doesn't make sense. Let's take in mind a couple things first. You can't sell pre-made nunchucks made of wood here. You could still get them off the internet or a magazine for probably $15-$20 plus whatever taxes may be included. You can however sell and buy a practice pair (plastic chains or rope bindings, wood covered in thick padding) for on $10-$12. Here's the kicker though, you're allowed to sell the chain gears for nunchucks (I got mine for $4). Now, all you need is a stick (I got mine for $3) and sew it all together you get a $20 pair of nunchucks for $7-$8!
So we're not allowed to sell wood nunchucks, but we can sell and buy the parts to make them? Does that make any sense at all? Seems like kind of a worthless law for me. Especially because in the martial arts store I go to, they sell sais, knives of all kinds, tonfas, bo-staffs, three-sectioned-staffs which are like nunchucks only worse and all sorts of swords! Things that are much more deadly than a nunchuck but the nunchuck is the illigal one. Among the throwing knives and the shurikens and the swords and everything else that could kill someone with one strike?

Is there anyone here that can explain how this "no selling nunchucks" law is supposed to work?

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea whatsoever. Especially seeing how you can buy guns....

~Theodore Roosevelt

Konoko
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo, Judo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you can use the parts argument. You can buy parts to make many different bombs but those things are not illegal!

But still it seems silly to ban nun chucks when you can buy guns and other weapons

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 'chucks were deemed illegal because of their history of crime use, as previously mentioned. Then, when they weren't such a problem, they were forgotten about, but the law doesn't get taken off of the books. Therefore, they are still illegal.

Athena
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tai chi, and my own strange mix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't make a lick of sence to me..not at all..wait- you can buy swords in newyork? sweet ^.^ *ish a huge sword fan*

anyways...i agree that banning nunchucks sounds really ridiculous..but there is a michigan law that still says that's it's a hanging offence for cattle rustling and that a woman can not cut her hair with out her dad or husband's permission. and blah blah blah...it's still ridiculous.

Everytime someone calls JKD a style, Bruce turns over.

Why do I love Bruce Lee? Not because he was an awesome martial artist- but because his train of thought overlapped with mine even before I knew about him.
Thank you karate forums, for introducing me to Bruce Lee

AngryDelldo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kwon Shu "Kenpo" Karate. Purple Belt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightOwl wrote:
I have no idea whatsoever. Especially seeing how you can buy guns....

Only in America...lol...

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe martial artists should petition to remove the ban.

obiwansbane
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Open Shotokan,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in canada, a nunchuck is defined as any 2 none bendable items connected by a length of rope, string, chain, etc.

They are illegal. To what extent (like you cant buy them, or you can't carry them around etc) i don't know. But those guiding things they use in banks to make a line? oh yah... those are nunchucks.... illegal weapons in a bank... thats just asking for a robbery...

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obiwansbane wrote:
here in canada, a nunchuck is defined as any 2 none bendable items connected by a length of rope, string, chain, etc.

They are illegal. To what extent (like you cant buy them, or you can't carry them around etc) i don't know. But those guiding things they use in banks to make a line? oh yah... those are nunchucks.... illegal weapons in a bank... thats just asking for a robbery...

So Nintendo's "Wii chucks" are illegal? They're a remote and game controller connected by a cord.

obiwansbane
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Open Shotokan,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the definition of the law yes they are illegal... but then they don't bring up the law ever that i've heard of
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: