Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: isshin-ryu, hopefully soon to study boken-do

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay that makes since. but i have apair of the urban BDU's myself. yet the seal team that did a demo for my class in norfolk had on black urbans. i dont know, maybe it was just that once for the demo or something. Im still convinced though that while it may just look good theres gotta be something to wearing black for stealth. im thinking mostly night ops though. so then now im really confused. there was a class of nija in a very early japan was there not? which did they wear? this interrpataions are starting to contridict a little bit. is there any were i can go for direct information? Any body have a web link maybe? (man, that kinda sucks about the black though, that it all came from movies. it sounds childish i know but those things still look pretty neat. i guess for the same reason the special weapons and tacticts units look sharp in there gear)

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Donn Draeger' s book "Classical Japanese Fighting Arts."It has a good section on the Ninja.
Most of Stephen Hayes' books are good too. Ninja weren't a "class" per se. Ninjutsu (literally: Stealth techniques) were a series of techniques in classical Bujutsu dealing with stealth, information gathering, sabotage,etc..
Classical ryu like the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu include "Ninjutsu" techniques. Much of what the modern world considers to be "Ninjutsu" can be traced directly to the imagination of Mike Stone and his script for "Enter the Ninja." Sho Kosugi, who starred in most of the Ninja movies of the 80s, as well as in the short lived TV series "The Master," is actually a student of Demura Fumio, a Shito-Ryu Karateka.
Hatsumi Masaaki, head of Bujinkan, has spent a lot of time attempting to introduce real Ninjutsu to the world. In the US his top students are Bob Bussey, in Omaha, NE, and Stephen hayes, in LA.
As for your black clad Seals, if they were a recruiting team, then they might have had special uniforms. Night Camo BDUs actually exist. I'll try to find a link to post. they are green, with a grid pattern and spots.

Starturtle
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Nippon Karate-do Genwa Kai Style Karate

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the Ninja were a sort of rebel in Japanese society, and developed sufficent skill to challenge the samuri. I don't know when or, more importantly i belive, WHY they were rebels during whatever period they were rebelling in.

As for ninja cammo, again, as I understand it, they would dress for the occasion. During the daylight in forests, olive drab. In a city, street clothes. Whatever worked best for staying concealed or unsuspected.

As for black camo, there are two explanations.:
A) solid black cammo like SWAT teams wear, is probably for pure intimidation. No one can be sneaky when you are expected, your wearing heavy body armor, and carrying high powered submachine guns and grenades.
B) Cammo not predominatley black, but black/grey, would help break up the outline of the person againts grey/black material. This would make the cammo bearer harder to identify and correctly target. Using black here would be perferable to color, since streets and builidings are gernerally a greyish color.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember there is not one set standard for camoflauge. It changes to best blend in with the local scenery of where the operation would be taking place. If a special colored uniform would best fit the situation that is used. If dressing as the locals do that is what is done.

Through the history of different nations; be they asian, or european the dress of those performing stealth missions has always been to dress to blend in with the locals.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: