Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KoreanTiger30
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haedong Gumdo, Kyuk Too Ki, and any Korean Styles I learn from training with others

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: NInja Uniforms Reply with quote

Would anyone be able to tell me where i might be able to purchase ninja uniforms of different colors like midnight blue rather than black.
thanks, Allen
International Haedong Gumdo Federation
Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: isshin-ryu, hopefully soon to study boken-do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the asian world of martial arts catolog

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just search for them on line.

dark_adjudication
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Judo, Ninpo, looking for something new

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any black gi will do. In a traditional (most) school that is the only color. Add the Tabi foot things and your a ninja. By the way, real Ninja don't wear the hoods.

Get as heavy a gi as possible if the school does a lot of grappeling.
"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change; it is, 'To use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.' " Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: 3d dan Shotokan, 2d dan Wado Ryu, 1st dan Taekwondo, 1st dan Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the whole "Ninja Suit" thing comical. One doubts real Ninja wore an easily identifiable costume. The modern "Shinobi-gi" is actually the costume worn by stage handlers in traditional Japanese theatre. They wore black clothing to symbolize not being there when they changed scenery. Real Ninja wore regular clothing.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja did wear stealth uniforms but they were not black. Solid black casts shadows on itself which is what you want to avoid. They usually wore a more olive drab color. This would provide stealth in different situations. When I was younger I always wanted a red ninja uniform cause I thought it was "cool" but I could never find one. But, if I ever got one I don't know how it would work for a stealth mission. LOL

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about those boots? ive never worn any are they quiet or something? do they help in climbing?

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watatabi were the typical indoor shoes worn in Japan from the 1700s until the late 20th century.

fireka
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i dont know a whole lot about the nija, though its a subject ive been meaning to research more prodomanetly (yea, i know its spelled wrong) If black isnt so good for concealment, why do our swat teams and seals use it? and is there any where that you can get this properly colored uniform? if in fact the ninja didnt wear black, were did that idea come from?

hobbitbob
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'ninja costume" originated in the early Samurai films in the 1920s (I reccommend them, the early films are like moving versions of Ukiyo-e prints! ). The need arose for easily identifiable "bad guys." The solution was to dress the Ninja in the outfits worn by scenery handlers in classical Japanese theatre. The costume signified "invisibility," since one was supposed to ignore the chaps changing the scenery.
Black is often worn by special operation police for its uniformity,and its intimidation factor. Most Seals I know wore regular woodland camo BDU's for field ops. Delta and Seal Team Six often wear slate grey BDUs for hostage recue ops and exercises. Most of the Delta guys I knew whilst in the Army had long hair and beards,and dressed in jeans and t-shirts!
Most likely Ninja wore sturdy clothing in earth tones. Often persimmon juice was used to darken clothing. Interestingly enough, in the 1930s Karate and Judo Gi were treated with persimmon extract, which was thought to add strength to the fabric. This was continued up through the late 1950s, and explains the slightly beige cast of early Karate Gi (not to be confused with the slightly beige look of an unwashed Karate gi!).
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: