Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Raian
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: none

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: No Martial Arts experience where do I begin? Reply with quote

I live in Las Cruces, New Mexico I'm interested in starting to learn martial arts and really just do it for the exercise. I'm not sure what would be a suitable style for me to start with. Any recommendations from anyone who lives around that area? Also what sort of expenses are usually involved with lessons/classes and equipment?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: No Martial Arts experience where do I begin? Reply with quote

Raian wrote:
I live in Las Cruces, New Mexico I'm interested in starting to learn martial arts and really just do it for the exercise. I'm not sure what would be a suitable style for me to start with. Any recommendations from anyone who lives around that area? Also what sort of expenses are usually involved with lessons/classes and equipment?

Welcome to the forum!

If you are just looking to do martial arts for exercise, then just about anything will fit the bill. The key is to find one that you enjoy doing, because that's the one you will stick with, and the only way to really benefit from exercise is to do it consistently. Check out the schools available in your area, talk to the instructors, try out some classes, and pick the one you like best.

Expenses are an area that is more difficult for us to help you with. Pricing for classes varies greatly from art to art, and location to location. Training can cost anywhere from $0 to $250+ a month, depending on what you do and where you do it. Similarly, equipment and uniforms can vary in cost as much (or more) as the classes, themselves. I can say that you will want a cup/groin protector, and a good mouth guard, for any martial arts that do partner work (drills, sparring, grappling, etc.). Anything else will probably be more specific to the art being practiced.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Ellacooper
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many "traditional" styles, like Taekwondo and Karate, can be a great way to get fit and do as exercise. These styles build stamina, balance and coordination by challenging the student with difficult kicking and striking techniques. If you think this may be the style for you, just be sure you select the right school. Thanks

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice already from Wastelander.

What I would say is, Google schools in your area and ask around to get an idea of what's available first. Then go along and try a few classes at each. A good rapport with the instructor and school atmosphere is more important than the style. If you want to narrow it down a little, maybe you can ask yourself the following questions as each martial art and school will be geared to slightly different things:

Do you want to strike (kick and punch), throw or grapple?
Do you want competition?
Self defense?
Weapons training?
Do you want tradition/discipline or more informal?
Hard contact / light contact?
Adults only or family friendly?

That should help you narrow your search down a little.

You might want to look at these threads for more help on what you should look for:

http://www.karateforums.com/how-should-one-go-about-choosing-a-school-and-instructor-vt38789.html
http://www.karateforums.com/what-are-the-right-questions-to-ask-vt31895.html

Good luck

derekdadude
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!

blackxpress
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Goshin-do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most any martial art will help you get more fit as long as they train hard. I was fortunate to have started in a dojo that trained hard. I was unfortunate in that my original dojo closed and I had to find a new place to train. Along the way I visited a couple of dojo's that were obvious belt factories. After being used to hard training I barely broke a sweat. I knew right away I needed to look elsewhere. I love karate and appreciate the value of a good karate workout but if all I was interested in was fitness I might consider boxing or Muay Thai. A good boxing gym is hard to beat when it comes to strength training and physical fitness.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest factor with any martial art is the teacher; a poor one can make a fantastic system awefull; a great one can take you on a journey beyond what you can imagine. Good Luck.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say for cardio, kickboxing would be a great style. But if you're looking for all around fitness (balance, strength, power, coordination), Shotokan, Taekwondo, Tang Soo Do would do wonders.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No Martial Arts experience where do I begin? Reply with quote

Raian wrote:

First of all...Welcome to KF; glad that you're here!!

You've already recieved some pretty good advice, so, I've nothing to add, at the moment!!

Good luck on your search!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: