Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ldmc2469
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: No Organization Reply with quote

I have a little bit of a situation. When I first started out in karate, I was apart of the Seibukan federation. I practice Okinawan Shorin Ryu. Well the instructor (4th degree dan) I first started under left about 4 months after I got there. He left the class to his sempie who is a 2nd degree. We remained apart of the federation for a year afterwards and then dropped the charter. We dropped because the guy didnt like how he was being told to run his class. He is 23 and just graduated college and is looking for a new job. For the last year, he has been leaving the class to his older brother who is a 1st degree black belt. The thing is, his older brother cannot promote any one pass 2nd degree brown. They refuse to join anyone to continue learning, but their knowledge can only take the students so far. Any suggestions on what to do or ideas? Is there any other organizations we could possibly hook up with if they would agree to do so?

pmh1nic
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idmc2469

I guess it's going to require finding another federation that is willing to accept the rank of the schools current instructors. I study Jiu-Jitsu and while there are similarities between styles of JJ there are differences (some small, some large but not necessarily better or worse) in the belt requirements from style to style and federation to federation. I'm don't know if the same is true with respect to Okinawan Shorin Ryu but the answer to that question is probably key in the answer to your initial questions.

Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious.

Your only recourse if you think you're ultimately going to be short changed in your training is to cut your losses now and find another school that is more soundly established. Maybe someone else who knows more about what's available with respect to Shorin Ryu and point you in the right direction.
"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links to Organizations i've found on the Net:

http://www.kickboxing.com/knowledge/search/styles/karate3.htm

http://www.okinawan-shorinryu.com
http://www.shorinryukarate.com
http://www.shorin-ryu.net/links.html

Just make sure to ask everything you need before join to any organization. Hope this helps.

CloudDragon
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Kenpo, Taekwondo, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider some of the "umbrella organizations" that are usually made of committes of instructors from several arts. They will not only work with you on promoting students in your art, they will help the instructor in getting promoted. Usually fees are reasonable and ranks can be easily transferred in many cases to new schools in the same association.

Goju1
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: IOGKF Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't be training in a school where the 2 Senseis are 24 and 19 ??? My advice is quit the school, go find a school with more 'history' to it, and a very senior Sensei in the system. Then you'll have a chance to learn a higher level of Karate and some feeling of continuity where you can know you'll be there 10 + years from now.

Sasori_Te
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kempo and Kobudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to karate politics. If I were you I'd find another school in which to train. From what you say, these guys don't seem to be very serious about running a solid program.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I remember back in the day when organizations weren't really a big deal. I mean we had our dojo association, but we never paid monthly or annual fees. Nowadays, everyone wants to know if you are a legit instructor, and I can see how being in an organization can help ligitimize you as an instructor. At the same time, it'll all boil down to how qualified you are as an instructor, and whether or not your students are benefiting from what you are teaching them .

ldmc2469
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificshore wrote:
Man, I remember back in the day when organizations weren't really a big deal. I mean we had our dojo association, but we never paid monthly or annual fees. Nowadays, everyone wants to know if you are a legit instructor, and I can see how being in an organization can help ligitimize you as an instructor. At the same time, it'll all boil down to how qualified you are as an instructor, and whether or not your students are benefiting from what you are teaching them .
pacificshore,
I have benefitted from my instrcutors. However, I think they can only go so far in teaching. I just wish one of them would go back to our previous instructor to gain more knowledge and be able to teach us.
I think that I may have take it upon myself to further my knowledge of martial arts. Doing so, I will keep what I have learned from them as my foundation and grow from there.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idmc,

I agree with what you are saying. Is there a possibility of you going to their instructor to further your training?

ldmc2469
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacificshore wrote:
Idmc,

I agree with what you are saying. Is there a possibility of you going to their instructor to further your training?
pacificshore,
I would have gone to their instructor starting about a year ago. However, he lives almost an hour away and I am unable to drive. Their instructor taught me several things before he left our class and I have lots of respect for him. If I were able to go back under his wing, I would do so in a heartbeat.
I think after a while I am going to concentrate on college and move to where my best friend lives after I get my degree. My best friend is studying a Japanese style that is much softer and has a bit more of a Chinese influence. I am not sure about the name of the style, I think it is called rochi ryu. Sorry if that is wrong. I am also looking at ju-jitsu as an option as well.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: