Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: No Pain No Gain Flexibility Stretching To Tears? Reply with quote

Stretching to tears, is this necessary?

https://youtu.be/oEGyP7EJAMA

Or are you looking for the subtle approach to becoming more flexible?

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced stretching works!!!

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not healthy!!!!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn’t watch it, but stretching to tearing isn’t good. At all. I’m going on 18 years of sports medicine BTW.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced stretching or assisted stretching does work, but trying to torture yourself or someone else for gaining flexibility isn't necessary.

"Experts say 6 minutes a week stretching, 6 days a week is enough for gaining flexibility"

How can this be I asked myself?

Perhaps what they are trying to say is that, it is the accumulation of seconds over the week at maximum plus a little further every day.

That doesn't include limbering up or warm ups or conditioning time, but just that reaching a little further daily or most days does the trick, little but often works.

Stretching in agony doesn't seem normal or necessary, as this seems counterproductive causing damage or trauma to the body.

Those that practice yoga for instance are more likely not becoming flexible at the expense of causing themselves pain, damage and tears.

On the contrary Yoga stretching feels good and flexibility is simultaneously working together, creating a type of unity and wellbeing.

IMHO it is for the most part, the unifying of flexibility with strength and control with perserverance over time, that improvements are made that creates a winning combination.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest danger with stretching is the same as working with weights: doing to much too quickly. The goal is to go slightly beyond one’s comfort and a little further each time, never until it’s painful.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is credible reason to believe, that the pain factor of stretching is very important to understand for gaining flexibility.

As it is the case that lowering one's own pain thresholds is due to stretching often and not lengthening muscles as they are designed primarily for lengthening and contracting, as too much one way or the other, muscles will become unbalanced.

Sometimes listening to what everyone thinks about how to become flexible can make the situation worse, as this adds to the confusion of what works and what doesn't.

Perhaps what works for one doesn't work for the next person, as adults, with a past of moving differently eating different foods and genetic factors. therefore trial and error and experimentation will need to be explored, as to what works best to become more flexible,

I do focus on many theories regarding being flexible, including the lowering of the pain threshold but not to the point of tears and tearing.

What I do is stretching in and out or open and close within my comfortable tolerance, many times without triggering pain responses (with and without resistance bands) also to take collagen supplements daily.

I see many people stretching with painful expressions on their faces while I look at them confidently while smiling and saying ohhhhh that feels good, as what I am triggering off inside is my sleep mode of relaxing pleasure.

What I am trying to convey to them is that stretching isn't a matter of causing pain but realistically, it is in releasing unnecessary muscle tension, to gain ease of movement.

Fighting one's own muscles is a losing battle but using TLC can help to improve flexibility by going through a process which can lead to more flexiblty during training sessions, such as utilizing tension and relaxation with and without weights.

Also breathing exercises and most often consuming plenty of water, reducing inflammation, eating foods that aid in micro muscle repair, massage to name a few.

What I have found is that flexibility isn't just about stretching it is however about having a feeling of wellbeing, which means that movements are easier, techniques are stronger, agility is better, reactions are quicker.

With these factors, is to out class the opponent if possible on different levels, with the ability to coordinate attacks and defend oneself beyond what is considered normal, by being nimble, fast and accurate.

With combat body mechanics in place trained towards optimal speed and performance, flexibility can help towards springing it all in to action, quicker than your opponent's reaction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: