Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

wadorue1
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wado kai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE AN OPPONENT NO MATTER WHAT AGE HEIGHT OR RACE AS THAT COULD BE YOUR DOWNFALL!!!

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, Wadorue1. I agree.

gbells
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why would you risk a high kick in a street altercation? unless you have blinding speed with it, your just asking for trouble. a well placed low line kick not only will inflict pain but will aslo open up the OP to be finished off therefore, getting you out of the situation as quickly as possible

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbells wrote:
why would you risk a high kick in a street altercation? unless you have blinding speed with it, your just asking for trouble. a well placed low line kick not only will inflict pain but will aslo open up the OP to be finished off therefore, getting you out of the situation as quickly as possible

That's if the low kick will work. There are several guys I train with how don't feel a thing if you catch them on the leg. Hit them in the nose though..

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
That's if the low kick will work. There are several guys I train with how don't feel a thing if you catch them on the leg. Hit them in the nose though..

Certainly hitting someone in the nose hurts. But who's to say that the foot is a sensible weapon to be hitting the nose with?

Most systems use some variation of the "closest weapon, closest target" principle. Following this approach, the foot and the nose are basically furthest weapon to furthest target. Not a tactically sound approach at all, particularly in a self protection context.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross wrote:
DWx wrote:

Certainly hitting someone in the nose hurts. But who's to say that the foot is a sensible weapon to be hitting the nose with?

Most systems use some variation of the "closest weapon, closest target" principle. Following this approach, the foot and the nose are basically furthest weapon to furthest target. Not a tactically sound approach at all, particularly in a self protection context.

Not everyone expects the use of the legs though. Certainly most of the fights I've seen people tend to box rather than anything else. And if you are boxing, throwing a kick to the head admist the punching is not going to be expected. Sure it needs flexibility but it can be done. Its a tactic I use in normal sparring.

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

truly, i think it's just a pick your poison situation. both can be good both can be bad, as with everything. it is said that if you set it up right, anything will work(anything martial arts that is). nobody's going to let you punch them right in the face, but if you set it up right, they can't help it.

mmljpp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good groin kick or kneecap strike much better than high kicks

NewEnglands_KyoSa
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do , Chinese Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmljpp wrote:

the groin is a quick response especially in self defense situations and when talking to women, but its actually been proven that groins are just a little below OK but not a great idea. for many reasons including it doesnt take much to cut off the target, just simply turning to the side, then you are off balance and they are not(big trouble!) also it isnt a big target(in most cases ) so missing and slipping are very easy. also its not an extremely painful target, is it painful, heck yeah, but nothing in comparison to a punch or kick anywhere else, and its certainly not deadly, so a few seconds later the man's reaction to your groin kick is going to be a hugely angry reaction where now you have bigger problems than you probably began with. kneecaps are also a little bit of a risk, its best to attack those from the side...not the kneecap itself per-se. but then again, anything can work if its set up properly, how you'll set somebody up to spread-em beats me

50inches
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate/MMA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NewEnglands_KyoSa wrote:
mmljpp wrote:

the groin is a quick response especially in self defense situations and when talking to women, but its actually been proven that groins are just a little below OK but not a great idea. for many reasons including it doesnt take much to cut off the target, just simply turning to the side, then you are off balance and they are not(big trouble!) also it isnt a big target(in most cases ) so missing and slipping are very easy. also its not an extremely painful target, is it painful, heck yeah, but nothing in comparison to a punch or kick anywhere else, and its certainly not deadly, so a few seconds later the man's reaction to your groin kick is going to be a hugely angry reaction where now you have bigger problems than you probably began with. kneecaps are also a little bit of a risk, its best to attack those from the side...not the kneecap itself per-se. but then again, anything can work if its set up properly, how you'll set somebody up to spread-em beats me

You must be girl because any man knows that the groin is the mother of all pain haha. No but seriously, it is the most painful place to get struck, I would rather take 10 punches to the head than that. You do make good point it not being the easiest place to strike however, especially the kneecap is a small target to be aiming at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: