Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Valithor
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: GKR Karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get what mate?

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did the missing dollar go?

Its 8.30 in the morning over here and I cant be bothered to work it out.

Valithor
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing dollar? What problem are you working on? Isn't this a triangle/quadrilateral gradient problem?

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but re-read the other posts someone said it was similar to the missing dollar riddle and they wrote it out, but didn't answer it.
I did used to know the answer but I forgot it.

Valithor
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok...

I'll see if I can find the puzzle and post it after training (with a solution)

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capn_midnight wrote:
the pieces still take the same area. The point is, the configuration is irrelevant.

This is similar to the Riddle of the Missing Dollar.
Three guests decide to stay the night at a lodge whose rate they are initially told is $30 per night. However, after the guests have each paid $10 and gone to their room, the proprietor discovers that the correct rate should actually be $25. As a result, he gives the bellboy the $5 that was overpaid, together with instructions to return it to the guests. Upon consideration of the fact that $5 will be problematic to split three ways, the bellboy decides to pocket $2 and return $1 each, or a total of $3, to the guests. Upon doing so, the guests have now each paid a total of $9 for the room, for a total of $27, and the bellboy has retained $2. So where has the remaining $1 from the initial $30 paid by the guests gone?!

woohoo i figured it out. its a trick question. the cost payed by the guests was initially 30, right? there was no missing dollar. five dollars the bell boy had and the remaining 25 were with the proprietor. Yes, the guests payed 27 but they should have payed 25. this represented by the money that the bellboy pocketed. this money isn't added to the cost but represents the money that the guests SHOULD have recieved. thus the equation is 27-2 which is 25. so there is no missing dollar

Cyberclown
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taekwondo/hapkido

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: a freebie and then a brain buster! Reply with quote

Okay,,,,,,first let me say that i wish i could get to these forums more, but alas.

Make a bet with a group of your friends (make sure it is for at least $300.00)...That you will allow them to pick out the busiest intersection in the entire area and then you will wait until rush hour, then when traffic is at it's busiest, that you will calmly lay down on your back, for five full minutes, with your legs crossed, right smack-dab in the middle of that intersection!

Make sure you collect the money up front and allow a trusted friend who has no stake in the bet to hold the money.
Tell all your friends involved to meet you at that intersection at exactly the time you have all agreed it is at it's busiest. Jusat tell them you will meet them there at the appointed time and tell them which corner to stand on.

At the appointed time, instead of meeting with them on that corner, simply drive up to the intersection, honk at them and wave, (smile too).
Then stop your car in the middle of the intersection, put it in park, set the brake and flip on the emergency lights, (the flashers), open the hood, then quickly crawl under the car, lay down on your back and cross your legs.

There will be a tremendous roar as traffic becomes a bit tied up while others drive around you. (cursing as they go!)
If a police officer stops and addresses you, simply keep insisting that you are close to repairing the problem. (you don't have to elaborate) Keep an eye on your watch.

By this time there will be a commotion. Traffic will have slowed, motorists will have cursed and an irate officer is standing there feeling helpless. The officer could call a tow truck, but if you are telling him it will be fixed in a minute, (just keep repeating that even if the officer wants you to come out from under the vehicle, he won't drag you out), the officer knows a tow truck would take much longer so he will be as patient as can be. All the officer wants is for you to move the darn car and perhaps by now he will wish to write you a citation for blocking traffic. (around 75$ here). As soon as five minutes tick by, slide out and announce you "fixed the problem"........(don't forget to collect)

I have done this twice, cited once, but both times raked in the money and more importantly, made them feel foolish for not seeing my trick. (I have many money (by betting) making tricks I do, so NEVER bet me at anything I bring up....*g*

The above stunt takes a good bit of nerve, so prepare yourself to stay calm and determined. (Grab the underside of your car should anyone try to drag you out.)

Now unless you were in professer Lanier's philosophy class in 1974 this could be a real brain buster!

You are driving on a vacation.
You come to a fork in the road and need to know which way is the correct way to go.
At the fork is a gasoline station. You know this station is owned by two IDENTICAL twins. They dress alike, talk alike, and in no way does their appearence or mannerisms differ in anyway. The ONLY thing you know about them is that one of them ALWAYS lies, and the other ALWAYS tells the truth.
When you stop at the station, only one of them are there, and of course you have no idea which twin it is.
You can only ask ONE question to find out which way is the correct way to take at the fork in the road. ONE question only!

What is the only question you can ask and be sure you get the correct directions?

(I'll try to heck back in a few days)

4th dan, WTF Kukkiwon certified
AAU Coach/Referee (oops, not National though!)
USTU Regional Referee (but I have stopped chasing the USTU around for a while)
"One of a kind" instructor...*g*

blitzcraig
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: National Karate/TKD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its like the I got your nose....."NO, YOU DIDNT GET MY NOSE, THATS YOUR THUMB DORK!!!!"
#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"

blitzcraig
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: National Karate/TKD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be lying if I asked you if Left is the correct direction to take?
#1"The road to tae kwan leep is an endless road leading into the herizon, you must fully understand its ways". #2"but i wanna wax the walls with people now" #1"come ed gruberman, your first lesson is here.....boot to the head" #2"ouch, you kicked me in the head", #1"you learn quickly ed gruberman"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: