Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that you are making your own weapons. I have been making mine for years and love the fact that you can customize them to your specific specifications.

I have made Tuifa and Rokushaku from Osage with good results after I learned how to turn it without ripping the wood. Osage is very fibrous and will tend to rip down from the area you are working especially if it contains too much moisture. It took me many tries to get this right and only after allowing the wood to cure and dry over the course of a year did I get decent results. However once sanded and sealed its a very dense material that will take a huge amount of punishment and is great for Kumite. I have also made Eku, Tuifa, Rokushaku and Kama from White and Red Oak.

On the none turning side I have made Tecchu out of Ipe with a band saw, hole saw on a drill press. Rounded corners with Router table and finished sanded and sealed. Turned out OK.

I also have made my own blades by means of forging, heat treat and tempering.

Depending on the tools you have I may be able to give you some pointers on how you can use basic tools to accomplish the job.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about techniques.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Quote:

OK, my dozey brain is actually being able to visualize most of what you are saying. I'm very keen to make a pair of tapered Octagonal. So starting dimensions would be........????? (average guy here). I am sure that I can find the knot and cord process on the Y tube. Weight wise, I have a number of options, hard light and hard heavier. What opinions are there on weight? I would be keen on your overall finished dimensions and what determined these based on your own dimensions etc.

I started by cutting down a 2x4 to 1 1/2 inch square at approx 15 inches long. You can get 2 segments from 1 length. When cutting the corners off it still leaves 1 1/2 square measured from side to side.

2x4s are cheap and you can use a shorter length if you are just testing grip width.

The white oak I tried is heavy at 1 1/2. I am a total noob to nunchaku, but they seem like they would make a great heavy set for training or as an actual weapon. I understand that lighter ones are preferred for competition due to them being faster. I may be wrong on that. The weight can be altered by choosing a different wood. The spruce from the 2x4 is really light. Also, most people should be able to fit a range of diameters. This would also be a way to change the weight.

Did you determine the dimensions of the nunchaku besed on your own dimensions, or did you use a "standard" size. I am thinking mainly on length of the nunchaku and also the cord between them.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:
Quote:

OK, my dozey brain is actually being able to visualize most of what you are saying. I'm very keen to make a pair of tapered Octagonal. So starting dimensions would be........????? (average guy here). I am sure that I can find the knot and cord process on the Y tube. Weight wise, I have a number of options, hard light and hard heavier. What opinions are there on weight? I would be keen on your overall finished dimensions and what determined these based on your own dimensions etc.

I started by cutting down a 2x4 to 1 1/2 inch square at approx 15 inches long. You can get 2 segments from 1 length. When cutting the corners off it still leaves 1 1/2 square measured from side to side.

2x4s are cheap and you can use a shorter length if you are just testing grip width.

The white oak I tried is heavy at 1 1/2. I am a total noob to nunchaku, but they seem like they would make a great heavy set for training or as an actual weapon. I understand that lighter ones are preferred for competition due to them being faster. I may be wrong on that. The weight can be altered by choosing a different wood. The spruce from the 2x4 is really light. Also, most people should be able to fit a range of diameters. This would also be a way to change the weight.

Did you determine the dimensions of the nunchaku besed on your own dimensions, or did you use a "standard" size. I am thinking mainly on length of the nunchaku and also the cord between them.

I used my own measurements. Standards seem to be up to about 12 inches mostly, with some reaching 13 inch. Also by doing straight I can cut them shorter later if I need to.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: