Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

NUNCHUK
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,
I was wondering if there's any way to repair my nunchaku sticks if they ever break. I mean, with other things like swords you don't have to worry about the wooden part breaking, because you are holding onto it and it is not your primary use for defense. But the wooden handles ARE what you use, greater chance of them breaking. I know there's effective methods but they take awhile. Suppose your caught in a sitch where your chucks break and you need em repaired FAST. What can you do?

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in any situation where you need a weapon repaired fast you're in trouble. The best method is probably prayer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, were you referring to the string or chain breaking? Because if you were then repairing wouldn't be much of a problem. If you are referring to the wooden chucks themselves breaking then it depends on the type of break.

If it merely cracks, splits, then tape should be at your disposal. If an edge breaks off, then tape can be used to prevent any splinters to your hands. If it simply breaks in half, well then make sure you have a second pair available. Oh, welcome aboard!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it takes a lot to break a pair of wooden nunchaku. It took a 250 pound, or 113 kilo, power chair running over them to break the only pair of nunchaku I have ever seen break. If you plan on using your nunchaku in situations that you think are likely to break them it is best to use a pair made out of the hardest wood you can get hold of. Or try aluminum or graphite.

NUNCHUK
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the warm reception and equally positive information. To SaiFightsMS: My favorite wood for nunchaku is ash. I came across a Web site that said it took 15000 pounds of pressure per square inch on a piece of white ash to even get it to bend or splinter. That is pretty strong! You've made my day guys, thanks!

NUNCHUK
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way guys,
What can I do if instead of my nunchaku sticks breaking they merely get a deep gouge cut into them? Is there a way to counter this as well, since tape will not fix it, what can I do to "fill up" the space effectively?

P.S. I am not sure if you look at posts after you reply to them, being a new member and all. So I think post this question as an entirely new thread if I receive no replies within 48 hours. If I do, then I'll know better in the future!

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $10 you can buy another pair. Why not just buy a few pairs and never worry?

Pete

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose you could fill the gouge in with wood filler, let it dry and then sand down. But then you have to restain them.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you fix something and don't do it right it will just break again.

NUNCHUK
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. You guys have no idea how helpful you've been! I think I'll just stick with the pair I have. Whithers, I don't buy multiple nunchaku because I build all my own. Each is a different work of art. But thank you for your helpful suggestions! Thanks too to SaiFightsMS. Thank you to everyone else one and all, it is your kind suggestions that make these forums enjoyable!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: