Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Oi Tsuki...hips... Reply with quote

Okay looking at the Oi tsuki technique, or lunge punch. Have seen different styles do different things with the hips...

example 1 - stepping through punching with the hips off.

example 2 - stepping through punching, when you start the technique bringing the hips off and at the last minute snapping the hips back on as you finish the strike, leaving you with your hips square...

what is it that you do and why?

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shindokan methodology of Oi Zuki is your example #2. Our timing has everything starting and ending at the same time, to and through said target. However, as to the timing of it, our advanced Oi Zuki is where the feet start first, then followed by the hands to, and through said target; a slight pause, if you will.

For Shindokan, that slight pause serves us as a means of transitioning around the opponent within our close range.

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the second version your referring to is using "kime". I don't think either technique is wrong, it's situational.

If your using oi zuki in a combination you may not use as much or any kime depending which part of the combination it is. Some techniques flow directly into others, the oi zuki may be a decoy or throw away technique to help cover you while you cover distance.

In fundamental training on the floor if oi zuki is the lone or last technique in the sequence I'm sure using the slight snap back or focus (kime) is proper.

Kime is a commonly used Japanese martial arts term. In karate it can mean "power" and/or "focus," describing the instantaneous tensing at the correct moment during a technique.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: