Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - let's go

My 1st question....

Where ever I go in martial arts I meet lots of people, who train in Tae Kwon Do, Karate or whatever - and say things like...

"I love JKD"

"I think Bruce Lee was great"

etc etc...

My question is - why do so many people "Love JKD" yet so few take the time to actually seek out a bona-fide school & train it?

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point YODA. I think it is just the reputation Bruce Lee has. People want to be him. He is seen, in the western world, as one of the greatest fighters ever. When they say that they love JKD, they only say that they love the fact that Bruce Lee could beat the crap out of almost anyone. Thats all there is to it. Most people see JKD as an actual fighting style and nothing more. At a tournament I went to, I was having a chat with a man twice my age (I was 14 at the time) and JKD was mentioned in the conversation. He went on for a few minutes trying to sound like an expert, and I had to spend a few extra minutes correcting him. He even asked me if I was a black belt in JKD!! Bruce Lee has that legendary feel about him, and people envy it, so they go on and on about false knowledge of JKD in hopes that they will be compared to him. Fortunately, JKD is becoming slightly more main stream now, so there is a declining numbers of (for lack of a better term) posers out there. Still, there will always be Bruce Lee wannabes out there. I find it quite funny that they try to be more like Bruce Lee by doing the exact opposite of what he did. They copy, Bruce created.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is becasue of the low amount of schools. I for one have a hard time finding schools in my area. Even mt tae kwon do school had just moved near me, so I was lucky. I searched forever to find a jiu-jitsu school, and now I am only beginning to train the art becasue my TKD instructor will come down to my TKD dojang every week to give a lesson.

Also, moving up in rank is important to many. I for one would prefer to move up in skill, but doesn't JKD not use belts? That might be a deterrant for people who just want to be "black belts".

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea - I'd second that...

I just cant/couldnt find a JKD school here..

There was one, which did Judo side by side, but then they closed down - Which annoyed me a great deal. So as much as I wish to train it - I cant.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem I see is people's perception of what JKD actually entails. What they see and what they "love" is often what we call "Theatrical JKD" i.e. the stuff he did in his movies - which is a far cry from the stuff he actually taught his students.

I had a guy come into our class once saying he wanted to learn to "kick like Bruce Lee". So I showed him the low Jeet-tek, o'ou tek jik-tek that are the foundation of his method -all low kicks to the knee & groin. "No, No -the spinning kicks he used to take out 2 guys at once with in Enter the Dragon!" was the response I got - Doh!

Hey Three60 - we DO use belts Not many JKD based schools do - but my Sifu does & so do I. Most JKD schools use coloured T-Shirts or "phase levels" - I don't see the difference.

"Using All ways - Bound by None" Remember? Bound by NONE means that although Bruce Lee didn't use belts, if we find they help our stuident's growth then we CAN.

The difference is that we use them because they are valuable - not out of tradition.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blade13

JKD Contacts in GA

Francis Fong
Frances Fong Academy
3260 Satellite Blvd Ste 600
Duluth GA 30096
Phone: 770-623-8090
http://www.francisfongacademy.com
Lineage: Bruce Lee --> Dan Inosanto --> Francis Fong

Steve Grantham
Grantham Martial Arts Academy
1498 Buford Hwy PMB-C113
Sugar Hill, GA 30024
Phone: 770-945-3434
E-mail: Steve.Grantham@onecoast.com
Lineage: Bruce Lee --> Dan Inosanto --> Steve Grantham

Adam & Rory Singer
The Hardcore Gym
780 Gaines school rd apt 44a
Athens GA, 30605
Phone: 706 - 543 -8368
asinger0@home.com
Lineage Bruce Lee --> Dan Inosanto --. Paul Vunak --> Adam Singer

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok People love JKD cause people loved Bruce Lee that guy could of beat the crap out of anyone. There aren't that many schools around though because Bruce Lee said that none were able enough to teach his art.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... Pricicely Joe. That's why we don't teach his art. We "use" his art as a base to develop OUR art - This is the essence of the JKD Process

Blade13
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Yoda. Unfortunately, I live in south georgia. Thats about 180 miles from any of those locations. This summer, Im going to Duluth to train at the Francis Fong Academy as part of a new yearly tradition since I cant train there full-time. Ill just have to do a month's work, practice that for a year, then come back and do more. Hey, I taught myself martial arts and I came in first place at a tournament in black belt forms and second in black belt sparring, so this wont be THAT bad for me. haha Im really looking forward to training there. They have four out of five of the "styles" that I would most like to learn...JKD, Muay Thai, Capoeira, and Wing Chun. Ive decided to go to college near Duluth so I can train there when I move out. Oh yeah, Im 15 years old. lol

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great plan for the future Blade - if I can be of any help at all in your journey then I'm here!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: