Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shi-to Ryu Seikokai
White
Yellow
Orange
Green
Blue
Brown
Black

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My background is also in Shi-to ryu (Motobu ha) and yes it is a misture of both goju (naha) and shorin ryu styles do the naha kata as well as the shorin kata . however we dont really do it quite as hard as the true goju people do . I recently had the honur of trainign wiht sensei Higiaonna Morio at the 2001 Okinawan rengokai here in atlanta and found it to be a very interesting style . it is good to see the variations of kata from diferent styles (traditional ones of course) I caint help with the kickboxing sorry but i hope this helps .

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Gorgoth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study Gojuru in Texas, ya, Texas... hehe...

Our belt progression is white to black. We are doing it the ancient Okinawan way where in order to gain a black belt, you train so hard that your belt gets so grungy that it TURNS black.

It will take us about 4 or 5 years to gain our black belt, if not more.

And no, we cannot just put our belts in the mud, because then the mud chips off and its perfectly white again. And Then we will get punished for trying to cheat.

Its a 1 on 2 class (Our Sensei and 2 students). We don't have a traditional Dojo, so we train everywhere from in the river (and i mean IN the river) to in tall grass fields, to the concrete garage.

We train for a few hours every other day. I have been in a few other forms of martial arts (Tae Kwan Do, Kuk Sool Wan, Shaolin-Do Kung Fu, and Judo) and this form has the ABSOLUTE HARDEST training I have EVER done. It might just be that my Sensei is from Okinawa and only knows how to teach the way he learned IN Okinawa, but its VERY INTENSE training.

What training experiences do all of you have with Gojuru?

-Gor

[edited because of my horrible typing ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gorgoth on 2001-12-25 21:38 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does sound interesting Gorgoth. It also sounds like some of the traditional training stories I have heard.

I read about one winter training camp where they practiced barefoot in the snow. And even stood under a waterfall to meditate, before running back to camp and cool down.

What are you learning? Katas, drills, kihons, kumite????

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take goju ryu under sensei (shihan) cormier.

Gorgoth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A week or two ago it was snowing... yes... snowing... in texas... hehe...we were outside training barefoot without the tops to our Gi's, only the bottoms and our belts.... my feet went numb, yet it didnt bother my upper body at all... it was weird.. hehe.... i don't know where any waterfalls are around here though....

Recently, we have been working with the Makiwara (sp?) a lot...

The biggest form that we have been working on recently is Sanchin. The last few days that was ALL we worked on. If any of you know what Sanchin is, you know what i mean when I say it was harder than hell workin on it for a few hours every other day. Although, yesterday we did work on Starblock (with the Escrima sticks). We have learned a large number of self-defense techniques and a few attacking techniques, the Leopard - Dragon combo being my favorite ... hehe...

We also do lots or repetitions with our kicking lines and such... We've also gone outdoors and worked on iron forearm training on the trees (we have already been doing the smooth pole forearm training for a while and my sensei decided it was time we work with the trees).

My sensei also has a black belt in Kempo, so I think he has been integrating some of the open-hand parrying techniques into our training. He told us that once we earned our black belts we would learn all of the open-fist soft-hand techniques from chinese influence in Goju-Ryu.

Soon we will begin our weapons training with the Bo. I think we are going to eventually learn training with the Bo, Nunchakus, Kamas, Sais, Escrimas, and the Katana. I feel like there were more weapons that we were going to train on, but I can't think of anymore at the moment...

I love Goju-Ryu, I like it much more than the Tae Kwan Do and Judo (the two martial arts i have done the most, so far) training that i have done in the past. In Tae Kwan Do I felt cheated, I thought it was ENTIRELY TOO EASY to get my black belt. I think it only took like 2 years or so... Judo was a lot of fun, but I'm not too fond of all of the grappling and such.

Well... that is all that i can think of at the moment... if you have any questions... feel free to ask and i will see if i can answer them, or ask my sensei and relay his answer to you...

-Gor

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I already said this but I study Goju Ryu under Shihan Cormier.

In our school it takes about 8 years to gain black belt. My sensei is a shihan and is in the hall of fame with the instructor of the year award.

Does anyone else here practice combonations called Bu-kens?

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting Gorgoth. But I don't think you will catch me outiside training barefoot in the snow.

I was just learning sanchin. It is very interesting. I can see how a long session of doing that kata could be more than a bit exhausting.

I am a Shotokan student but, I like to learn where and what I can learn from.

Gorgoth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe... well... it was texas snow... so it was only about an inch or so deep... but the ground was really cold... the soft dirt and such, that is... Just as we were working out, it got very hot and our sensei told us to take off the tops of our gi's as we started sanchin...

ya... sanchin is hard... it is a great isometric work-out though...

-Gor

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon

I believe where you are there are GojuKai schools. Headed by Paul Starling.

Good schools

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: