Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome young man.........(upper 40s here).......we look forward to you input and insights.......

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome AO. As a 37 year old newbie, this intro thread and the responses are among the most inspiring ones I have read. I appreciate what you have added so far and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The force is strong in this one." -Obi Won Kanobi

Welcome to the board AO. Nice to here someone that so dedicated as you. To bad you do not teach anymore, you would have inspired alot of students.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school has many fine instructors. I initially stopped teaching because of my work and when that changed again, all the city Dojo's had instructors and I decided it was a great time to explore Karate at a different level.

I wanted to spend time exploring and studying modern training methods in sport. I also wanted to use myself as a guinea pig on these ideas. I also decided I wanted to train solidly and hard for about 20 hours aweek. I still train once a week at the Dojo with all of our Dan grades and this really is where I test my ideas.

I still get the benefit of instruction and guidance of our 'Dojo Head' who trains more than I do at age 61. That little guy is a man of steel and is an inspiration to me. He is the only man in the country that teaches our special army forces and we get much insight into the training needs and methods of the army. I have attended many of these sessions with the army special forces and these guys by nature and training are tough. And they are totally respectful of us, that is, traditional Karate-Ka. Our special forces (SAS) are as competant as any in the world, we just dont have as many as other larger countries.

Believe me these SAS guys will try you out big time and I have many stories about that from over the years, but our strict training regimen has taught them to respect us. Its something we have earnt.

Apart from my odd assistance with the SAS I dont teach. From time to time I may visit our local suburb Dojo and train there with a Sandan instructor, but I respect that he is in charge and running the class despite being a lower rank. Although I am asked to help out sometimes but I dont attend very often. I have my own programme tailored made to suit me and I prefer to follow it. Since enacting this programme some 11 years ago, my training and martial arts out look has changed. I stick to traditional karate for the most part but just have added modern exercise techniques as a supplement. My school is someone tunnel visioned in what they do and thats fine, they have produced many great Karate-Ka's but I needed something tailored especially for me and my own body.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: