Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By reading through the posts I guess I could easily be labelled an old timer.

I am almost 45. I started boxing when I was 7 years of age. I started Karate when I was 17.

I have trained all my life really. My brother was a successful boxer and got me into fighting. In many ways LOL

In 1980 I spent 1 year training full time and then travelled to Japan in 1981 for one year of training. What a crazy 2 years that was. I then ran out of money and had to start working again, sheesh life stinks! hehe

I am in New Zealand. I dont teach Karate anymore. I prefer to train. I do all sorts of training. Karate, weights, running, obstacle courses, plyometric exercises, makiwara, weights, as well as many other things

I train for the sake of training. Competition doesnt interest me except in the sense of competing with myself.

I am in a traditional Japanese Karate School which is a direct derivative of Shotokan. Basically Shotokan really. Thats the old Shotokan pre-1957.

Hmmmm what else?

I have a teen age son who is becoming very good. Accept hes going through all the youthful stuff of wanting to jump and kick to the moon as I did. He will settle down to real fighting soon hehe.

I train everyday accept Sundays. I am divorced and engaged to a beautiful woman who is 13 years younger than me. She made me a T-Shirt with D.O.B. on it. Dangeous Old B--stard. LOL Its cute

I include my family in my training. They either work out with me, or come biking when I run or talk when I work weights. Its a family thing we all enjoy.

I am not bald and still have my own teeth and dont need glasses LOL I am 5'10" and weight 179lbs

I am pretty set in my martial ways and I have worked out a system/programme that works for me. Being one of the highest ranks in my school and country for that matter, I tend to be a little closed minded on some issues, but I will endeavour to keep an open mind here and be respectful. I dont need to be called Sensei I am not teaching anymore. Stating a rank does not tell of the level one has I feel.

However, I can run a marathon and bench press 265lbs. Now thats not bad for an old dude is it?

I dont believe Martial Arts is a way of self enlightenment. Its a fighting art pure and simple that teaches fighting skills, respect, determination and self discipline. On a battlefield you dont get a chance to discuss philosophy. Believe me, in my younger days I had many street fights and never lost once. Trying to talk philosophy to a mad attacker doesnt usually work. The art of self defense is that. If you can walk away or talk yourself out of a fight all well and good. But, most idiots today dont talk they start punching! So to me, the idea is to put them down fast then they are receptive to philosophy.

I was attacked in July 2001 by an idiot. There was no chance for talking. People like that just throff at the mouth and attack you. They deserve no patience.

Thats how I see it anyway

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-01-30 01:03 ]

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to worry. We have many people here your age. Welcome to the site.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I" for one ... but 2 yrs. "younger" !
As you will notice throughout the forum ... members have come into the martial arts for all different reasons and all have their own ways of thinking with regards to their specific style, training, fighting, instruction and the "politics" involved. We have all tried and I do believe have been pretty much successful here, to respect and acknowledge one another's opinions and have come to value the insight that each member brings to the KarateForums table of discussion. We are never too old to learn something new however set in our "ways" we may be.
Welcome to KarateForums AnonymousOne
Quote: "I dont need to be called Sensei I am not teaching anymore. Stating a rank does not tell of the level one has I feel. "
You will notice members here have acquired "rankings".... Sensei/Sempai. Although in actuality some may be Black Belts and or Instructors or may not. (You can view in toolbar under Rankings)
I happen to be in "real life" Sah Bum Nihm ... and for what it took me to achieve that title I do state my rank with pride.

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha, I beat you at 49..

Welcome

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so the over 40 division gets a new member. Allmost 45 huh. Me too.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You will notice members here have acquired "rankings".... Sensei/Sempai. Although in actuality some may be Black Belts and or Instructors or may not. (You can view in toolbar under Rankings)
I happen to be in "real life" Sah Bum Nihm ... and for what it took me to achieve that title I do state my rank with pride.

Personally I place no emphasis on belts or gradings, it does not tell of ones ability at all. Eventually your black belt will fade, then turn white and turn into tatters and needs to be replaced. Sure I am proud of the rank I hold but I dont make a lot of noise about it because telling someone your rank simply cannot explain to them your level of skill or even lack of skill.

If someone asks me about Karate I show them technique not a belt. As even Bruce Lee said "A belt is only for holding your pants up"

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread awhile back about earning respect and I had said something to the effect of humility being one of the biggest traits someone had to posses in order to be a good and true martial artist and for someone to be able to earn my respect...a trait which you seem to have AnonymousOne. You encompass everything in your post that I love about my instructors at my school and why it is that I love martial arts. I like your honesty and no B.S. attitude....very cool for an old b@stard!! I'm Lori btw, 32 yrs. old and have been kickboxing for almost 3 years and I train at Champions Martial Arts Academy in North Vancouver, Canada. A pleasure to meet you!

Lori :pony:

-Unknown-

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My God! I'm only 14 and I feel left out!

Kickbutt
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're lookin' for sympathy, you've come to the wrong thread hon'!!!!

-Unknown-
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: