Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sibylla
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kickboxing, FMA, MMA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Older budoka halfway starting over...choices? Reply with quote

Hi!

After spending many years in a bad JSA dojo, I´m going back to the weaponless arts. Besides weapon arts, I have experience in shotokan, ju jitsu/grappling. I´m older but injury free and fit.

My options are:
1) CMA. I did start training in a kung fu dojo, which I liked. the training was varied. But then the head instructor with all the great knowledge and teaching skills left. There is another credible CMA dojo here, but the introduction program is taught by a student. And I think there is no sparring.

2) Karate. There are a number of dojos and styles around. One interesting one is a place I used to train (JKA) which has now changed instructors and do a mix of shotokan and goju. I´m not sure how credible such a mix is, but they have high ranked instructors and a visiting very known American sensei that hold seminars and gradings.

3) Kick boxing. I´ve tried it and it is fun. Little empasis on rank and I think it is possible to train just as an "amateur". But in the long run as I get older maybe it is not for me.

I´m not sure what to do. I think the number 2 is the most interesting but I´m a little afraid of how they state how traditional they are. My experience with the Japanese sword arts was that there is a lot of politics involved and that the most japanophile people and I don´t get along. I want it to be training focused, "adult" without too much samurai fantasies going on.

I have also considered kobudo. But there are little organized training to be found, mostly seminars. And it seems to be very stuck in a rank curriculum. I want training that mixes it up a little according to what you can do and not so much by the color of the belt.

What do you think?

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, I suggest going to each place and checking out the class you'd be in. I'd even go thru one before committing. That way you're going on more than just the arts reputation or the description on a info sheet. You'll actually see how what they are doing reflects your goals in the arts.

This will also give you a good sense of the core group of people there that you'll be part of. You'll be able to see how you'll fit in and get an idea of the dynamic. This might be more important to you, or a bigger factor in your choice than the name of an instructor or art listed on the door.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely check both out. As for the mix, sounds like a good one to me (but then I'm Kyokushinkai which is a mix of those two, so maybe I'm biased )

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll 3rd that response. Go check them out, and see for yourself. Either of them may be great options.

Sibylla
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice!! Maybe it is possible to do karate or CMA plus kickboxing, I´ll also look into that.

I kind of feel like a fool for starting over (and over) at my age, but oh well..

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about feeling foolish. You might meet someone at the new school in the same boat.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it as continuing education. After doing this for a long while now, I can say I've checked out a thing or two outside my original training hall myself. Finding something new can be invigorating and lead to progress forward for your whole response pattern. Enjoy it and don't feel that way at all.

Good luck.

Sibylla
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: