Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at something in another site and came across this link.
Http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/pages/articledt16.htm

Thanks to MSN I had so much trouble editing this it will probably never work. God I hate msn.

Well if you can hunt through the Tsunami site there is an article about karate in the olmpics.

I have been disconnect like 6 times trying to make this link work. MSN is not fit for even the birds.

Okay try Http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/

then click on dragon then on the right side of the page click the article.

Shotokan Karate, Bojitsu, Saijitsu

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-01-31 12:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-01-31 12:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-01-31 12:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-01-31 17:42 ]

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 'What a pretty 404 error'

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

chh
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one:
http://www.dragon-tsunami.org/Dtimes/Pages/articledt16.htm

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that one works chh

thanks for the link Sai i am reading it right now

SuperMinh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the rules of competition karate and talked about that with my friend the other day.
Apparently, you're not allowed to make contact to the opponent's face but only to his body.
Being a kickboxer, i was thinking about entering karate fighting competitions and i've been told i would just have to get used to the rules and practice a bit under those...
The thing is, i don't know if i'll remember to pull all my strikes before contact and i don't know if the judges will appreciate much my boxing footwork and weaving.
What do you think ? Is it hard to go from kickboxing to karate? (usually people do that the other way round, i know)

SuperMinh

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a link to some kumite rules in the shotokan section.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me Olympic Karate is an insult to Karate. Many Japanese masters have declined involvement and I agree with them

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditionalists, amid their advocation of the retainment of original customs and philosophy (which somehow Anonymous One, you seem not to value since it does not help you 'out in the battlefield'), should also realize that without change, improvement cannot occur. It is arrogant and rather stupid to assume that your art/style has reached its pinnacle in any area and has no more room for improvement.

I understand why you would think that olympic karate is an insult to traditional karate, b/c to u it may devalue the worth of karate because people in the olden days only had their skill to assure them that their lives were somewhat protected. I am not saying that olympic karate is a step up or a step down for karate. You may think that it makes things worse because it destroys the whole 'karate was a sacred practice which held great meaning for those traditional practitioners because of how important their skill was to defending their lives in the feudal era or something'. But it is just simply the way the activity has evolved. I am so sick of saying this but sheesh in this day and age, self-defense isn't an absolute necessity, and we have the appreciated luxury of walking outside our homes without fear of warriors on horses trying to impale us. Karate has simply branched out from being just a practice necessary for survival to being an activity that many can enjoy without the fear of getting their skull smashed in or their legs broken.

So what if the whole life or death atmosphere is watered down. To me, I think that it is great that there are people around us of all ages that can practice karate just because it's fun, or because it's a great way to get in shape. If you want to keep on training like you are going to go to war in five days, that is fine. Blame your country for being so damn peaceful that karate has branched out so that it's 'fan base' has included so many other types of people from all walks of life. Many other activities or practices have evolved so that they can now be called hobbies or favorite pastimes by others. There are still those who may treat the 'pastime' as a serious discipline, and that is great too.

I really could care less if I receive flame from more 'traditionalists' or not. I have received training and ideas from both extreme traditional schools to new sport-oriented gyms, and I have found inspiration in both types of places. This is just my opinion but I nevertheless will always stand by it.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olympics+karate=Gay, yes, gay, thats right, gay!

not insulting any gay people either.

SuperMinh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:nod:True spinninggumby, I think exactly the same. . I have respect for the "traditional" people out there trying to prevent their art from becoming a simple "sport" and a way for sponsors to make money. However, like you said, nothing improves without changes. Sport karate will attract more people into the dojos, meaning more practicionners will get involved, more improvements will be made, etc...
The result will be a younger karate, better than ever before but still carrying the traditional components.
The way i see it, is a bit like cross-training. In traditional martial arts, everyone used to be student of one single art, and masters only used to "master" their own style. And different practitioners defied each other to see which style was better. Then came Bruce Lee and his peers, they started by traditional MA but quickly evolved and learnt all they could from other stuff such as boxing, fencing, etc... Kung fu masters saw Lee as a traitor. Today he's being praised by everyone. And now it's normal for students to cross-train.
Take it this way, if you were stuck to the tradition of studying only one art (say karate)and had to face an equally skilled practitioner of, 2 different arts, you'd be in trouble.

Olympic Karate is an evolution of karate, in the same way cross-training is an evolution of martial arts.
Traditional martial arts have been waiting several decades for changes to happen. I think the time has come.

SuperMinh

[ This Message was edited by: SuperMinh on 2002-02-04 09:26 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: