Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The olympics will be held in China in year 2008 and I am very glad it is. I was worndering is there would be Muay Thai in the olympics by then. Any opinions on the olympics and about the muay thai sport.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To date, no Muay Thai are being considered at the moment. It may be considered in the future and I hope it will be added. There is talk about Karate being added and Judo being phased out along with Tae Kwon Do. Karate, to encourage the Olympic Committee to consider its bid, has drastically changed the rules to the sport side of it.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2001 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to even be considered muay thai/thai boxing must be held in thailand, it's home country. and then as a demostration sport....but that might change the make up of this sport because of the rules that would have to be enforced.

it happend to tkd/judo/boxing just the same.

humble respects with a bow

florida

This Message was edited by: iamrushman on Jul 13, 2001 7:27pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, if anything is allowed in the Olympics, it will be so watered down and worthless to have, it wouldn't serve a purpose. Sports are one thing, but when you turn fighting into a sport, it takes too much out of the aspect in fighting, to be able to even remotely resemble fighting aspects, it comes down to speed, taging, grabbing and throws. It wouldn't be something I'd be interested in. Kickboxing, Boxing and other types of "sports events/fighting" are bad enough, but Boxing is better, in my opinion.

Now, people, to be clear, I'm talking about rules, limitations and holding back, as in a sport aspect, not any art. It wouldn't be a good idea and would simply be pointless, for any style of martial art, unless you're talking about wrestling, boxing and kickboxing. The rest can't be used, or they'll look and be ridiculous. Sports, are sports, fighting is fighting and can not be a real sport, Boxing is at it's highest limit, they simply won't allow anything more brutal than that, no way.

There's a big difference between a fight and a sport, and even if sport fighting can be effective to use in a real fight, they don't come close to arts that are for real fighting. Of course, real fighting aspects might not interest some people and they'd rather at least see the more harmless techniques used in sport, than see real techniques being used in a real fight between two people.

I personally don't like watching sports, I'm the type that wants to be involved and do it, especially if it will give me a skill or knowledge to improve my life or my preservation of life -- I can't care less about sports aspects, personally, but that's because of my opinions, so the sports aspects to me, is just a joke and I find it annoying, other than for fun (which is fine to be involved in too, but only for fun and that has it's limitations). It all depends on what you want to do.

However, what I'm getting at here, is that I think something like the style you mentioned, would be a bad idea to be in the Olympics, just as it would be to have people shooting at each other. Some things would have to be so watered down, that it would take the entire point out of it and it's functionality, to make it even be the event you would want to be witnessing. It would be something else, not MT, so it's not possible for it to be MT, so MT will never be an event, nor will any other art that people have to hold back on or only use select techiniques.

So, therefore, no real art will ever be allowed, unless they change it so much, that it's not the real art -- unless all that art in question ever really is, is for sport. (Which would be suitable and fitting, but I would fail to see the point, since it's there to prove who's a superior fighter (not even just the style), and they couldn't really or realistically fight). So, it's Boxing or nothing in sport, the rest is ridiculous, watered down, pointless fluff that has assumed the name of a once real art.

Kung Fu, Modern Arnis, TaiJutsu, and so on and on and on and...

This Message was edited by: Tim Greer on Jul 14, 2001 2:39am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree Tim, thats why when Karate becomes an Olympic sport, I will be the first one with the Gold.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well said and well put TIM...but another aspect (of course not in so many words. LOL)is the inept or prejudicial view and judgments of the referees and trainers that judge the particular fighting sports.......my example is the fiasco of the 1988 boxingmatch where lou duva et. al. provided a better bout than the performers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'l do the exact same thing to Muay Thai as they did to TKD. Then the world's opinion of MT will be sodded just like sport TKD - MT's better off never EVER being in the olypmics!

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2001 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Karate is allowed into the Olympics, they won't have to change the rules. The WKF already did it, so therefore, the rules of the Olympics will be the same as the rest of tournaments around the world. That is what the rest of the sport do.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still don't reckon they'd let it in, i'd rather not watch martial arts in the olympics anyway.

Angus

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2001 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What!!YOu don't what to watch fighting in the olympics!?! That is a good way to promote kickboxing, mt , or sanshou if it is in the olypics
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: