Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built my own custom piece of equipment that my Fiance calls the Gallows.

All it is, is a wooden construction 6'6" high with a main post in the middle with supporting beams.

It has a series of pullies with weights at one end then a rope running up over the pullies and at the other end of the rope I have varies things that allow the rope to connect to my feet, hands or body.

The purpose is to allow a Karate kick or punch to be made whilst under load. In other words the exact karate bio mechanical movement is performed under load. Most weight training is good but is doesnt get at the exact muscle(s) for that particular movement. So when I punch with this system the exact same muscles are used in proper form, but under load.

Also I am able to attach it around my waste. This means I can do lunge punches or almost any other body movement under load. I can practise side stepping technique, karate kata turns etc. However you are limited in this because you have a rope around you.

I have a friend of mine who suggested that if I was mad enough to do this, I might as well get a Knights heavy armour and do Kata. LOL

But seriously, I find the system, seeing it matches exact karate movement is very good. Since having built it late last year, my punches, blocks and kicks have improved dramatically in the area of power.

You can do normal weight work with it (matching karate movement) or plyometric type exercises matching karate movement.

I thought of the idea many many years ago, but just never got around to making it. So I designed it and bought all the parts and assembled it.

Its quite a simple system, nothing fancy looking.

But the area I find the most benefit is in kicking because you can really get at the muscles around the hip joints that lifts your knee.

I have also devised a particular workout session with it and I only use it once a week on Saturdays because it really cuts into my muscles and I find myself quite drained the next day.

Another benefit is you can practise your technique in reverse order to use the muscles differently. Same Karate movements but the muscles working in reverse order. I find this very good especially in the need to develop skills at grabbing and pulling an oponent.

In fact since using it, I have noticed that I have improved alot in this area. I was sparring with a Nidan last Friday night and I side stepped his attack and instead of counter attacking as I usually would, I simply grabbed his Gi by the shoulder and hip and pulled him side ways and downward and he fell like melting putty. He got up and asked me "How did you manage to do that?"

I was even surprised myself because thinking about it now it takes good arm strength to move someone who in in a solid low stance. But I attribute this to the "Gallows" training I have been doing. So I was pleased with the progress.

I will try and get a pic of it with me training, but perhaps it may be even better getting a video and running through all the various exercises I do. I will see what I can do.

I am sure some of you could think of ways of using it that I havent thought, this I would love to hear.

On the gallows main beam I have mounted two large size dowels like the Wing Chun wooden dummy. I hit this with my forearms to condition them. A Karate-Ka has to have conditioned arms in blocking. I remember my first ever teacher who was undefeated in Kumite contest in this country, he had forearms like iron and he was a little skinny dude that looked totally unthreatening. But he was lethal and still is. Hes a 8th Dan now. Sadly because of his work that takes him overseas alot we dont get the benefit of his expertise as often as we would like. He was a San Dan when I started 27 years ago. It was amasing, he never lost in contest (over many years) here whether Kata or Kumite and never used weights. His philosophy was just to practise Karate on its own. It sure worked for him.

For me I have a much different philosophy. I guess we all explore and experiment for ourselves. We retain the good and disgard the useless.

My Goju friends encouraged me to explore weight training. Its not a big thing in our school. I am so glad I did, to me its made a world of difference.

And these young whipper snapper newly appointed Shodans who dont see me much get a big surprise when they 'try out' this old goat! LOL

They seem to think a few gray hairs makes you slow and not as fit as them. I try to be humble but you know sometimes the ego takes first place and I feel I have to put them in their place. I feel guilty for enjoying that. LOL

We from time to time, seem to get these younger guys that are very ****y and confident and maybe they have won a contest or two and they like to try our the senior ranks. We have a central Head Dojo and they came from other Dojos from all over the city and as I dont teach they dont know me, but not for long!

We have a lot of senior Dan grades that dont teach because of the time factor. In our school you must be at least SanDan to teach. Its a large school with a long history and it takes awhile to get to know everyone, so it can be fun meeting these younger guys (the girls never seem to be like that).

Sometimes I feel like showing up with a white belt just for a laugh. The only negative thing I would say about our school is because its quite militaristic in its discipline and it does seem to foster within 'some' people rather Hmmmm unique ego's. On the odd occasion the seniors need to sort this out.

I must say I do like the attitudes of some of the other Styles. However I am where I am and I enjoy the training and excellent advice we get from our leading exponent. There are no other legitimate 9th Dans in the country

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Try weights on this for at least six months and then measure your capabilities. see if this old goat is wrong"

You're spot on the mark - You old goat

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was introduced to the resistance tubing well over a dozen years ago during some rotator cuff rehab. Over the years I have used tubing in strength work for most areas of the body. A simple attatchment that slips into a doorframe allows placement of an anchor point at any height desired.

Since the initial piece of tubing, handle and door attatchment I have replace most everything and gotten very creative. Simple training tools should never be under rated.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly SaifightsMS .... the simpler the better...(well, unlness youre handy in the tool shed) .. and I can't see investing in expensive equip that can do the work of simple devices.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: