Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to the lest important of the three main striking skills - kicking.

Most of us know that in the street our spinning kicks and head-height kicks are near useless. Because we may have bulky items such as wallets or mobile/cell phones which impede flexability.

However, some kicks can still be used and are very effective:

Front leg - this is like your jabbing hand. Your quick strikes such as snapping side/front/round kicks are done from this. But most probably the most important kick is the front snapping groin kick. Painful and effective, the groin kick is the number one defensive choice when it comes to real violence. Long range attacks such as the stepping/slide up side kick are also effective and likely to be used (just make sure that u strike them higher up and off their centre of balance).

Back leg - the attacker. This leg is slower and more cumbersome than the front leg but is commonly considered more useful. My particular style of fighting would utilise rear leg thigh and knee kicks (roundhouses). I also tend to use a front thrust kick or 'teep'. Spinning kicks CAN be used but are VERY rarely needed.

Remember, footwork is also essential when kicking. Like the jab, use the front foot in conjunction with a little slide to help give u momentum. A back leg roundhouse could be given a little extra zip by stepping forward with the front foot or more likely out to the side, and then crashing your back leg roundhouse into the aggressor.

The back leg, used in conjunction with some hand work is also good for a thrusting knee action. Either grabbing the person and kneeing them in the groin or the stomach, or by grabbing the back of their head and smashing into their face... VERY cool stuff!

Anyway, that's the end of my three part 'ON' series. Cheerio....

Angus

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all these posts Angus, I am going to save them all to Hard Drive now to keep
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright! I enjoyed reading the three part series. They were interesting to view and I learned a little.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to add - a side kick to the knee/shin can also be v.effective in a street fight situation!

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure can Jiggy, but it's harder to pull off than other moves.

Angus

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing Angus all keep that in mind

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High kicks to the head in a street fight are definitely harder to do than, say, a palm smash to the nose or a takedown or a choke hold or about a billion other moves. But if someone develops extreme proficiency in this area, it may not be probable but definitely possible that he/she could use this to his/her advantage. There have, believe it or not, been accounts where people have used head-high kicks to hurt others in street fights. Saying that high kicks to the head are useless in street fighting is implying that, if you did land a high kick to the head, it wouldn't do anything. Perhaps you could say that the ability to launch a kick to the head in one of those situations would be an unlikely choice for the vast majority of people. Certainly, for even many proficient kickers, a punch or ridge hand to the head is much easier to perform and requires much less effort than any effective kick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are often surprised when they attempt to throw one of their favorite head level kicks, that is such a beauty in the dojo, only they are now in their civvies. And the flexibility is impeded by the fit of their pants.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah gumby, or maybe you could read my post again and see that i wrote NEAR useless...

I've landed a spinning hook on a bloke before and knocked him out cold - but i was very lucky that he wasn't a very good fighter.

Angus

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you were wearing spandex? No flexibility impediment there But then depending on where you are from, you would get shot on the spot
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: