Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: On My Own Reply with quote

Martial artists from the four corners of the earth spend an untold countless amount of hours, days, weeks, month, years, and decades literally on one thing; perfecting themselves. In this noble venture, certain things aren’t so easy to accept, therefore, the journey of every martial artist isn’t a vain and/or self-centered desire to improve their Kihon, Kata, and Kumite. To raise one’s very own expectations beyond where eagles sore isn’t a futile exercise of uplifting our ego. No! Our search is never satisfied because we’re extremely questioning ourselves at every turn in our martial art journey, and in that, we must be honest with ourselves; we can do better! I can do better!

I don’t search because my instructor’s instructor said so. I don’t search because my instructor says so. I don’t search because it’s the popular thing to do. I don’t search because my friend’s says so. I don’t search because my training partner(s) say so. I don’t search because a notable martial artist says so. I don’t search because some judge at some tournament says so. I don’t search because those closest to me say so. I don’t search because it’s required of me. No! I search because that’s what imperfection does; seeks perfection. I search because I’m the proponent of that which states that the summation of ‘why’ is to the summation of ‘because’. I search not on someone else’s time; instead, I search on my own. For me: and for no one else.

I search on my own not only because it encapsulates my deepest and innermost desire, but it also drives that unquenchable curiosity of mine. So says that well known proverb; curiosity is what killed the cat. What if? What might be? What? When? Who? Why? Where? How? I need, no; I must satisfy my curiosity if I’m to be honest with myself, both as an individual, but as a martial artist as well.

On my own I search, prod, seek, find, ask, doubt, discover, reveal, hunt, quest, shakedown, sweep, chase, pursue, reconnaissance, scout, canvas, survey, explore, probe, and forage. This and so much more, but again, I do it on my own. I do it on my own because ‘it’ is mine alone.

On my own I search until tomorrow. On my own I search the world until there’s no tomorrow. On my own I search because I’m still learning. On my own I search because the opposite; the void, isn’t an option. I walk this journey of the martial arts willingly. On my own! On my own conditions and stipulations, but more importantly; my search will be ON MY OWN!!

I love the martial arts! I love my martial arts! I love my search! I love my journey! But only on my own!!

Your thoughts?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the search as well. I also spend quite a bit of time searching on my own, even in a class full of other students who "appear" to be doing the same thing. Sometimes, my search invovles crossing the path of another who is searching, as well.

So, its not all necessarily on my own. Or maybe it is on my own, but with others around, too.

That's probably about as deep as I'll get with that. But a nice topic!

Amsterdam
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear my! i was reading the first reply and actually i had a feeling as if i was reading about myself....i understand what you meant.... Sometimes you have the feeling that you can do everything, that you have everything to do it, and start to go it.... and the feeling when you start doing something on your own - this is what makes you feel useful, it proves to YOUSELF that you can do everything! we have many chellenges in our life....we manage to overcome lots of them, but some of them manage to break us....at least once in your time... but we need to have enough strengh to go on! and this is when our mind helps us! it tells us you must go on and on and on!! no matter what!!! and we need to obey, as our mind and our heart know us better than we think!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say...On My Own...I'm not referring to a life of solitude and/or that I'm alone and/or I've no one to train with and/or to learn from. After all, no matter the rank, we're all students EVERYDAY!! No, I'm surrounded, and I'm glad that I am.

If I decide to train or to teach or to learn or whatever else, then it is I who decides, not anybody else, for I do "IT" On My Own!!

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a computer right? Why don't you use skpye. This is how I trian with others that are a great distance away. Anytime you want to let me know. I call it the other form of kitchen kata.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just used Skype one time; during the KF Livestream. In that, I'm not opposed in using Skype as you've discribed. My only problem is that I'm about as dumb can come when it comes to computers and new programs, so I'm going to have to do more playing with Skype and studying it before I can use it effectively, if at all.

I like you idea and I'll give it a try. The worse thing that can happen is that I just won't use Skype until I'm smarter with programs...that could take a long time.

Actually, could you somehow show me how to use Skype as you are? I'd really appreciate it.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

I just wanted to mention that on the livestream, I actually called you on the phone. On my end, it was Skype, but on your end, it was just the phone. No worries.

That said, doing something over Skype like this sounds like a great idea. You can even use video, as long as you have a camera attached to your computer.

These guides might help:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/support/user-guides/

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that you called me with Skype. When my phone rang, I assumed you called me on your phone, and that your phone was somehow connected to your computer.

My laptop has a built in camera, so, would that work? Or do I have to buy a computer camera and then download the program and then do this and then do that and then...wait....I've no idea what I'm even saying right now.

Still, I'll check out the guide link you've provided.

Thanks!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey wrote:
You have a computer right? Why don't you use skpye. This is how I trian with others that are a great distance away. Anytime you want to let me know. I call it the other form of kitchen kata.

How would I go about finding other martial artists to train with using Skype? Is there a network or something out there to link martial artists together or what? I don't want to train with other Shindokanists because I already do that all of the time. I'm looking for fresh practitioners to exchange and train with.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, Bob. The camera connected to your laptop should work fine.

You could always start a thread in General Chat asking if anyone wants to share their Skype ID.

Thanks,

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: