Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s the result of determination. 27 do years is an exceptionally long gap before getting back into it, but if someone makes the time and effort previously learned skills do come back.

It truly is just like riding a bicycle. Once it has been learned, it can be possible again even after years not doing it. It just takes a strong will and determination to recall and sharpen the skills up to whatever level one had before practise was stopped.

It is worthy of note because ego and overestimation of ability will make most people unable to start over after just a short while.

Although it has been a lot less than 27 years, much less a decade; re-starting from the basic fundamentals was difficult. In the end it was the most beneficial path to choose. The first thing that becomes obvious is that previous rank/grade have very little significance. What matters is what is possible to do in the present.

If one trains hard and regularly up to a level previously reached, the skills and ability will be reinforced; thus improved by the time said level is reached again. Another good point is that the instructor evaluating the rank/lgrade will have a different perspective from before.

Nimblino
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds like everything fell into where they belong for you, especially after having a 27 year gap!! Train hard, and train well!!

Thanks; but it was mentioned that I should prepare to grade for Nidan in the near future. I personally have never been bothered about grades.
Not a problem with Kata & Kihon although I could do with some of the flexibility of when I just started as an 11-year old kid.
To be honest with you, I'm feeling a bit too old for all the push ups & press ups, hand stands, bo jumping, ... and whatever else they throw at you and then 20+ rounds of Kumite.

Osu

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nimblino wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like everything fell into where they belong for you, especially after having a 27 year gap!! Train hard, and train well!!

Thanks; but it was mentioned that I should prepare to grade for Nidan in the near future. I personally have never been bothered about grades.
Not a problem with Kata & Kihon although I could do with some of the flexibility of when I just started as an 11-year old kid.
To be honest with you, I'm feeling a bit too old for all the push ups & press ups, hand stands, bo jumping, ... and whatever else they throw at you and then 20+ rounds of Kumite.

Osu

Don't you just love it when people try to run your MA journey without your permission?? If you don't want to grade for Nidan, then don't, and if the powers that be don't understand, then they don't understand.

Theochh
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my fellow martial artists,
I am loving reading all these posts and replies, so much that I can relate to, thank you all.

As weeks turned into months I am still training hard as a white belt, stamina is increasing and so is flexibility but at a much slower pace

While training i still find myself helping some students in the class, sometimes correcting a stance or a technique, I’m passionate about doing things right and can’t help myself. Don’t misunderstand, I am not annoyingly helpful, I choose the right time. As a “white belt” should I continue in this way, or just concentrate on my own techniques, stances and form and leave the higher grades to correct.

All thoughts welcome.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theochh wrote:
Hello my fellow martial artists,
I am loving reading all these posts and replies, so much that I can relate to, thank you all.

As weeks turned into months I am still training hard as a white belt, stamina is increasing and so is flexibility but at a much slower pace

While training i still find myself helping some students in the class, sometimes correcting a stance or a technique, I’m passionate about doing things right and can’t help myself. Don’t misunderstand, I am not annoyingly helpful, I choose the right time. As a “white belt” should I continue in this way, or just concentrate on my own techniques, stances and form and leave the higher grades to correct.

All thoughts welcome.

Welcome to KF, Theochh; glad that you're here!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Once a Shodan Reply with quote

Theochh wrote:
Hi All

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on the following.

At the age of 18 I achieved the grade of 1st Dan in Shotokan karate. I had been training for approx 6-7 years. I then stopped training, not because I fell out of love with karate but life in general changes things.

Now at the young age of 46 I want to get back into it. I’ve been to a couple of different clubs (in a white belt) and the Senseis have been impressed with my ability to perform basics and the way I have been able to recall katas. My form, timing and power are all there but sadly I’m less flexible.

What’s the general consensus regarding the following questions:-

1. Continue to train and start from scratch, take the full term and grade each belt?
2. Enquire about an accelerated grading program and regrade for my black belt sooner rather than later?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

PS- great forum “karateforums”

An idea for you.

1) Wearing a white belt and embarrassing higher ranks when Sparring.

2) Wear a black belt (which you have earned) and not look as good as when you first earned it.

3) Wear a white belt and put a black stripe on it and as you progress through the belt system keep putting the black stipe on it, till finally reaching black again.

Option 3 seems reasonable to explain to others your unique circumstances, without feeling inferior and making others feel inferior also.

Suggest asking your Sensei if option 3 would be acceptable.

All the best on your martial art journey

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Achieving shodan grade is similar to getting a high school diploma, you have proved you have reached a level of competency that can't be taken away from you.
If you have a lay off you may lose your sharpness and physical fitness but your knowledge is still there and just needs to be recalled and practiced again and within a short period of time you will get yourself back where you were and I dare say even more competent than before.

I personally don't mind wearing a white belt for any period of time, as long as I can have quality training and conditioning.
I know what I am and what I have achieved, others around me will know my level by how I carry myself in the training hall.

It also depends on what you are after in your karate training.
Are you looking for advancing in Dan grades?
Do you want to become a teacher in karate and become a 5th Dan?
Or you are just looking to polish your techniques and train for the sake of it.
I belong to the latter.
If I find a great instructor in any form of martial arts I would be happy to wear a white belt for ever and happily train there, but that's my way of thinking.
I don't care about high Dan grades.
There are more than enough high Dan grades in the world through whatever political or financial motives that it has lost its meaning for me a long time ago.

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very similar story. I was a 1st kyu in Shotokan and I paused my training at 16 years old until my early 40's. I started training as much as I could with my unusual work schedule. In one year I achieved my Shodan.

During that time and since I started training Shorin Ryu and have achieved 4th Kyu. I'm 47 now.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same, same. Graded in July 2004 and never graded again. Been to Okinawa 3 times, trained all over and taught seminars but I have no students and love being Shodan for life!

mjh1969
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself less concerned about rank after earning my black belt and more concerned about skill, technique and staying committed. I came back to karate after a 26 year break, started off as a white belt and after 11 years earned my black belt. I was a white belt when my mom pulled me out of training the first time. I found the whole experience to be very very gratifying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: