Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still believe that your on the right path across the board, with one exception.

Only thing that scares me is that your dojo doesn't train Kumite whatsoever. Imho, that sets up a negative precedence that Kumite isn't important in ones training. To me that's akin to not ever learning about blind spots when learning how to drive a vehicle...it's an accident waiting to happen.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I still believe that your on the right path across the board, with one exception.

Only thing that scares me is that your dojo doesn't train Kumite whatsoever. Imho, that sets up a negative precedence that Kumite isn't important in ones training. To me that's akin to not ever learning about blind spots when learning how to drive a vehicle...it's an accident waiting to happen.

Hi sensei8.

Your objection is quite a fair one. I live in a small Spanish town, and to be honest, the only other adult in my classes is my instructor. Other then that, I'm training with teens. So, when it comes to fair, straight-up kumite... there's not a lot of opportunity there. We tend to focus on application of kata and 1-step kumite, bunkai, etc. So there is application, just not much sparring (but hey, every now and then we do some).

I reckon you're right. I don't think this is making me into a great fighter, far from it. But it's teaching me other things. So I would respect anyone who says that this approach is not the ideal... but I would have to disagree with those who say it is invalid, or a waste of time, or anything like that.

Everyone has different goals, I suppose. Karate so far hasn't made me into some great fighter, and may never make me into a tough fighter without the right amount of kumite training. I understand that. But it has made me tough in other ways... It's taught me how to avoid a confrontation, it's taught me how to call people out who are doing the wrong thing, it's taught me how to persevere. And yes, my limited experience has taught me that when push comes to shove, I can fight. Just as long as my opponent isn't some hulking martial arts giant.

I suppose I purposely abandoned a dojo that was more fighting / full contact oriented because, their values didn't really align with my own. Not that I don't wanna fight. Just that, they seemed so darn focused on sparring and being tough, that all the rest of it got lost somewhere.

So anyway. All that to say, I don't disagree with you. But this is what I've got right now, and, it's working for me. I'll keep my limited kumite experience in mind next time I start thinking about picking a fight with someone.

Thank you, as always, sensei8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13
Jump to: