Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzKicker wrote:
I'd forgotten I weighed in early on, but re-reading this thread and subsequent posts, what struck me is that the OP is trying TOO hard, and self-evaluating from one day to the next. Well, this is bound to get you tense and frustrated.

Change and improvement come gradually, not linearly- then one day you notice the thing that used to be so difficult, you're doing without thinking. Part of it is, you have to rest and relax, to come back to it fresh.

I had a change of heart on this. I actually think this is really good advice for me. I suppose I'm learning to trust with my heart instead of analyzing with my mind all the time. Thank you.

Good training tonight. Thanks folks.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live overseas, I teach English. As part of our end-of-year celebration, we had some guys come in and teach the students a bit about American football (they are part of one of the only teams in the area). These guys are a bit younger than me, early 20s, and they are built strong and clearly athletic. We had a lot of fun.

One of the drills they showed us was a blocking drill. One of their guys blocks, and one student/teacher is the QB and the other student/teacher tries to "tackle" (by tagging) the QB. It was my turn to be the defense and I had to get around this big strong blocker.

Honestly, before I started doing karate 4 years ago, I would have not been confident about this at all. But today I went in with it this attitude of like "yeah this is nothing. And try to have a little fun with it."

I'm the only American at the school so naturally I already had a bit of an advantage. But football is really not my thing. So as they were teaching us the proper way to throw, catch, etc. I understood that these guys, with a lot more experience than me, are going to be better at this than me. American or not. And that's OK. I don't have to act tough and act like I know how to throw the football perfectly just because I'm American/a guy/strong or anything like that. I am what I am. Just listen to the instructions and do it the best you can.

This to me is why I do karate. Because, on the one hand I'm able to identify my weaknesses, as well as the strengths of my "opponent", without my ego getting in the way. And secondly, I am confident in my physical strength. These are two qualities that would serve me well in a self-defense situation. Or even better, in an attempt to avoid one.

I have my karate training to thank for this. Thanks folks.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. Being able to step back and analyze yourself this way is a positive step to a long training journey, and a productive one.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Good stuff. Being able to step back and analyze yourself this way is a positive step to a long training journey, and a productive one.

Interesting stuff. Someone actually told me I'm being too analytical about this. Which I realized that he was sort of right. No need to analyze every little thing and track my progress inch by inch. That said, I'm glad you find value in what I'm doing here. I also think this is an important part of my journey. Know thy enemy, know thyself sort of thing.

I suppose there's a balance. Analyze, but don't over-analyze. And above all, finding a balance that works for me. Not for anybody else. It's all a process I suppose.

Thank you for chiming in.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we did a bit of training for kumite. I guess it's not the first time but I had a mini-"aha" moment where I really got into my body and out of my head. It wasn't just like, "make these look like real techniques". I mean, I've said that to myself a million times. But tonight something just clicked, I stopped saying it to myself and stopped trying to make them real, and just made them real. Something about them being unique to my body, too. Like, I wasn't just trying to imitate the instructor. I was more trying to imitate the principles I've learned, and the karate just kind of happened.

Still not sure about that yoko-geri but it will come. If everything was a breeze I think my karate training would lose something of great value. Let's see what happens...

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortyafter wrote:
Today we did a bit of training for kumite. I guess it's not the first time but I had a mini-"aha" moment where I really got into my body and out of my head. It wasn't just like, "make these look like real techniques". I mean, I've said that to myself a million times. But tonight something just clicked, I stopped saying it to myself and stopped trying to make them real, and just made them real. Something about them being unique to my body, too. Like, I wasn't just trying to imitate the instructor. I was more trying to imitate the principles I've learned, and the karate just kind of happened.

Still not sure about that yoko-geri but it will come. If everything was a breeze I think my karate training would lose something of great value. Let's see what happens...

Great news, shortyafter!!

You'll get Yoko-geri before you know it because, imho, it's a staple technique, like tying your shoelaces is to getting dressed...remember what I'm always saying to you...TIME!!

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8 - Yes, that is what I try to remember. I don't plan on giving up, so, I must say that time is on my side. Thank you for the reminder and encouragement!

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tournament on June 16 this year, it's an event that happens around here yearly. This will be my 3rd year with my current teacher, but in the past I've only helped him out with organizing the kids - I haven't ever participated. I asked him if it would be possible to compete this year and he said he thinks so. In fact he is pretty sure. Unfortunately where I live there's not a lot of adults doing karate... the ones that are are already brown belt or higher. So then there's little old me with my green belt. He said he will sign me up for the 16+ white - blue division. I'm not sure if that means mostly 16 and 17 year olds, if that means nobody, or what. But it means I get to compete! I'm referring to kata but come to think of it I will mention kumite to him next class. Although I think it's probably unlikely.

I have never competed, so this is exciting for me. Honestly I don't understand people who are all about winning and stuff... I really don't care. This for me is just a new experience, and a good way to put my karate to the test under pressure. I'm not sure what changed between this year and last... maybe because last year I was an orange belt, maybe because my teacher is happier with my karate, maybe because he just doesn't want me to be left out. I don't know.

It comes at a good time. After class I ran through my Heian Shodan quickly (this is the kata I will be doing, at best maybe a Nidan or Sandan). I felt really good about it. There's a lot of things I've been working on and that have been coming together lately... namely using my feet correctly and getting my force from there. It just feels, I don't know, strong and correct. The worst looking part is the last 4 movements, the kokutsu dachi with shuto. Obviously because I'm more used to zenkutsu dachi. But I will take a look at that in the next 2 weeks. And hey, I've even been feeling better about my yoko-geri (would only need that for the Nidan really).

It's funny how this stuff goes. There's been moments in karate (and life, really) where suddenly time stopped and my karate (or whatever I was doing) just flowed beautifully, powerfully and effortlessly. Will I be in that head space when I step into the ring? I don't know, I don't have any illusions about it. It seems like it's something that just happens to me when I don't expect it. But here's the thing... I know that, when I keep fighting for it, when I keep persevering, it always comes at some point or another. Maybe not exactly when I wanted it. But it always comes at the right time. Not when I wanted it, but when I needed it. It's never really come so that I could look good in front of the masses... it's always come so that I could learn something about myself, and become more graceful, more peaceful. So I'm going to keep fighting for it, and I'm going to keep fighting for me and for what I believe in. Let's see what happens.

No matter the result, this will be positive for me. Feeling grateful. Thanks folks.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortyafter wrote:
There's a tournament on June 16 this year, it's an event that happens around here yearly. This will be my 3rd year with my current teacher, but in the past I've only helped him out with organizing the kids - I haven't ever participated. I asked him if it would be possible to compete this year and he said he thinks so. In fact he is pretty sure. Unfortunately where I live there's not a lot of adults doing karate... the ones that are are already brown belt or higher. So then there's little old me with my green belt. He said he will sign me up for the 16+ white - blue division. I'm not sure if that means mostly 16 and 17 year olds, if that means nobody, or what. But it means I get to compete! I'm referring to kata but come to think of it I will mention kumite to him next class. Although I think it's probably unlikely.

I have never competed, so this is exciting for me. Honestly I don't understand people who are all about winning and stuff... I really don't care. This for me is just a new experience, and a good way to put my karate to the test under pressure. I'm not sure what changed between this year and last... maybe because last year I was an orange belt, maybe because my teacher is happier with my karate, maybe because he just doesn't want me to be left out. I don't know.

It comes at a good time. After class I ran through my Heian Shodan quickly (this is the kata I will be doing, at best maybe a Nidan or Sandan). I felt really good about it. There's a lot of things I've been working on and that have been coming together lately... namely using my feet correctly and getting my force from there. It just feels, I don't know, strong and correct. The worst looking part is the last 4 movements, the kokutsu dachi with shuto. Obviously because I'm more used to zenkutsu dachi. But I will take a look at that in the next 2 weeks. And hey, I've even been feeling better about my yoko-geri (would only need that for the Nidan really).

It's funny how this stuff goes. There's been moments in karate (and life, really) where suddenly time stopped and my karate (or whatever I was doing) just flowed beautifully, powerfully and effortlessly. Will I be in that head space when I step into the ring? I don't know, I don't have any illusions about it. It seems like it's something that just happens to me when I don't expect it. But here's the thing... I know that, when I keep fighting for it, when I keep persevering, it always comes at some point or another. Maybe not exactly when I wanted it. But it always comes at the right time. Not when I wanted it, but when I needed it. It's never really come so that I could look good in front of the masses... it's always come so that I could learn something about myself, and become more graceful, more peaceful. So I'm going to keep fighting for it, and I'm going to keep fighting for me and for what I believe in. Let's see what happens.

No matter the result, this will be positive for me. Feeling grateful. Thanks folks.

I competed 2 years ago. Last time I competed was around 1999/2000. As a 40 year old vs a 20-something, my whole outlook was different. This time I wasn’t there to beat everyone else. I was there to beat myself; to perform my kata and spar better than I ever have and ever thought I could. Going into it, I thought I can’t control how good or bad the competition will be, I can only try my best to control how good I’ll be.

I performed my kata better than I’ve ever performed it. We had 24 people in my division from at least 6 different countries. I placed 3rd. Of the 2 ahead of me, one was a little better, and the first place guy was so far ahead of us all (former pro dancer and high level amateur gymnast has certain advantages:) ). The 2 guys I point-fought beat me, but I was happy with how I did. The points they called and didn’t call left us shaking our heads, but it was fun. It says something when 2 separate points are awarded against you, and the opponent asks afterwards if those two punches actually landed. I just smiled and said “those 2 didn’t land, but there were others that did and didn’t get called.

Train hard, outdo yourself rather than the competition, and have fun with it. You can’t control the scoreboard, judges, or the competition. You can only control how well you do. Do that, and everything else takes care of itself.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JR, that's a cool story and great advice. I will continue to focus on what I can control - myself. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13
Jump to: