Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideals and realities seldom match.

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one hit one kill techniques do work jsut think for a moment if you hit some one in the base of the skull or the throght . just look and some of the kempo or even the bunkai to the kata these techniques arent jsut stuff made up they were created during a time when self defense was a matter of life or death . the thing is to know when to use the right amount of force and when not to .

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, perhaps a one hit knockout would be more appropriate.

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well let me share a news story that happened here in atlanta when a kid killed another kid getting off of a bus by hitting him in the base fo the skull . You hve to belive in your traning and the technique . remember these movement were created in a time when you defended yourself or you died .

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we do is not just something we do for fun. There is a very serious side to it, and it can be misused with fatal results. I really think one of the most overlooked areas of our training is in the area of when to use it and when not too.

One hit one kill is related to total commitment of the technique. Before we do the technique there has to be a mental process involved in deciding the appropriateness of the technique involved.

It can be dangerous to others to use a techinique in a situation like the one mentioned to the kid in the base of the skull. It can also be dangerous to us to use a technique in a real life or death situation without total commitment.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a high ranking Karate-Ka can break 10 or more solid tiles this is what would happen to your body:

If he hit you in the head your neck would break.

If he hit you in the chest your chest would cave in.

If he hit you in the solar plexus death is certain.

It takes years and years of training to do this, but its absolutely possible and is definately not a myth.

Tiles and bricks are far stronger than bones and thats why we test ourselves this way especially when we are young.

I have no doubts a good Karate-Ka can kill with one strike, its easy to deny it especially when testing it for real is illegal and immoral.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a big supporter of UFC, but I have read that the ability to punch through fifty billion tiles does not guarantee you an effortless win in any street fight as many UFC results have shown. (BTW I have my own suspicions about this organization since I watched a fight in slo-mo between a Japanese free stylist and this Hawaiian guy and the Hawaiian guy supposedly kicked the crap out of the Japanese guy but when I looked up close to when he was delivering a flurry of punches to the guy's face, his fist was actually hitting the fence and the camera was trying to shoot at an angle so that it was covered up). I am sure no one implied that breaking boards and inanimate objects was all you needed to become a skilled fighter, but I guess it's kinda obvious that tiles will stand still as you focus all your energy and 'ki, chi, etc. depending on what art u study' into pulverizing those blocks. Humans, thankfully, are not quite as dense, stupid, immobile, and rigid. Although I cannot believe everything I read, I have heard that kung fu/karate masters with the ability to smash through like ten tons of rock have lost to thai boxers and grapplers simply b/c they never got the chance to focus and land that one important hit. When your target is an elastic, moving, somewhat intelligent SOB who is also trying to hit you, a few more variables are added in. Of course, that is why you cannot focus all of your training on hitting immobile objects and sparring and real-life ground training is so important if you want to ever hit it big in the UFC or be the last man standing in any alley scuffle. Once again, personally, I do not like the UFC because every match I have seen involves the grunts of sweaty men until one taps out or the other one has lost too much blood (ok i'm exaggerating), but hey, the good side is that it is SUPPOSEDLY real-life based (excluding eye gouges and I dunno, trying to rip out the vocal cords and/or nads?)and once u make a name for yourself, ain't nobody gonna be making eyes at ur significant other in any seedy bar no more.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Also, the placement of the fists at the hips....There's no guard, you're asking someone to knock you out!"

I'd just like to point out that there is a difference to the type of karate used in sparring compared to that in basic training.
When sparring in Karate - I do have a guard, my fists arent at my hips nor is my stance v.deep, I am usually hoping around - light on my feet ; Infact I look quite like a kickboxer/boxer.

If you're wondering why then do Karate students train with deep stances and fists at hips e.t.c though a bit difficult to explain is this.

When excecuting a punch; for that split second recoiling one hand to the hips (which is rotating) whilst the other punches allows greater power. (but to be honest I dont recoil my hand to my hip - but just back to my gaurd - unless I have a clear hit which i can use as a finishing blow)

As the blow is being delivered, is when one should get into a deeper stance - simply to get closer,get more power, lower centre of gravity hence more balance and the momentum of forward movement.

I think youre uncle seemed to know more about what he was doing, in terms of fight stance and gaurd compared to the brown belt you saw.

Hope this gives you a different perspective on Karate.
:up:

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2002-02-03 10:20 ]

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of a deep stance is to develop leg strength. When sparring a higher stance is used. In our school our stances are deeper than Shotokan.

We dont attempt to spar with the same low stance because you dont have the same mobility. However one should have strong legs because one has trained in lower stances.

In our school we also have a standard sparring hands position. This covers the body with one hand and allows fast defence of the head with the other. Its been a well thought out position in my view and is highly effective. All must use this position.

When I was young I tended to dance alot and try and mimic Mohamed Ali, but today even though my fitness and skill is light years from those days, I tend to sit very still and watch and then move very quickly. I find it easier to watch my oppenents moves when I am not jumping around. I have noticed over the years that most high ranking Karate-Ka tend to do this, especially in Japan

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: