Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total

MOO
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these days i wouldn't use the one hit one kill techniques due to the conseqences it could have, but i'd injure my attacks joints e.g. knee which is easiest to get too!

Bruce__L
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bruce Lee said: "Boards don't hit back!"

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only do boards not hit back, boards don't move either and are not elastic and made of 70% water. And boards won't ever surprise you by pulling out guns or stabbing weapons amid battle.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dim Mak ??

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one hit one kill philosophy will get you killed it is the primary reason I switched from shotokan to kickboxing. If you are always taught that if you land a certain punch that every person will drop and you hit someone with your best punch and they do not drop. You may not be ready to respond.
Self defence situations are always different and you should be ready for anything. Combination punching is far better than relying on one big telegraphed shot.

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-03 16:12, ramcalgary wrote:
The one hit one kill philosophy will get you killed it is the primary reason I switched from shotokan to kickboxing. If you are always taught that if you land a certain punch that every person will drop and you hit someone with your best punch and they do not drop. You may not be ready to respond.
Self defence situations are always different and you should be ready for anything. Combination punching is far better than relying on one big telegraphed shot.

I would agree for a student that has had less than 5-10 years of intense training

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

ramcalgary
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are comenting on my length of training and being able to comment. I have been studying the martial arts since the age of 8 and I am now 39.

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you think that if you hit someone in the throt they will not suffer or if you kick someone in the knee it will not break or strike to the back of the skupp they wil not die these are all very effective techniques and they work . The key is to know when to use them and to know how to focus your ki . Yes i know some of you are scoffing my last statement but the only way you learn this is to stay wiht a certan style for a while and not just skip around .
I am a firm beliver in the one hit one kill stratagy.

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not think that one should focus on training for one-hit-one-kill b/c there is just no way that it can be foolproof IMHO. Just what happens if your one strike or shot is a little bit off center, or your attacker moves at the last moment, or if a whole band of thugs attack you at once? While you are landing your single killer hit on one guy, the others will pummel you. Maybe this is where conflict awareness (including being able to predict attacks or sense escalating tension) and reacting accordingly to stimuli comes in.

Although I could quite be misinformed, a lot of karate advocates hard force-on-force blocking that probably would not go over too well if you were 125-130 lbs (like me) against a 250 pound thug who wanted to rip out my vocal cords. That is why it is so important to move around your opponent to a more advantageous position, either that or strike before he/she has a chance to strike. And when you have 10 people who are interested in killing you, the last thing you want is hard, stationary blocks and movements that involve pitting your force against anothers and have to worry about the ones who will jump your a$$ while you are counterattacking. I have been taught to try to take out the nearest or perhaps weakest attacker and then use him/her as a shield if the assailants become too overwhelming, and to keep moving if possible.

I have considered the possibility that many traditional masters may have preferred stationary and solid stances as opposed to moving around in a fight. Once again, this might be okay (maybe) if you are fighting one other person in a ring fight. However obviously this is different when nineteen of his other friends come along and declare it national WWF Appreciation Week, it won't really matter how stable your stance is or if you have iron arms to block samurai blades.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: