Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Big Game
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shiho Karano Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: One step sparring Reply with quote

Just wondering if some of the different styles practice one step sparring? We do in our style. Basically what they are are basic blocks and counters.

For example one step # 1 is step towards the person punching and do a downward block followed by a punch to the stomach.

They are useful in that they help you move in stance and help you to know what to do when attacked. In our style you must know one steps to advance. When you get up in rank you are required to know variations for each one. The variations allow you to be creative and come up with what you like best. You need to know five variations for each one step.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step sparring is basically an introduction to sparring basics which I believe is covered in most disciplines that free spar.
In one steps at our school, beginners are instructed in the use of the basic strikes against a partner. The basic punches and kicks are covered with emphasis on accuracy and balance. They must learn to deliver effective techniques while advancing toward their opponent. 3. Defense is usually comes next.This involves learning how to step back and block the various incoming techniques. Emphasis is on maintaining proper balance and form so that the defender is in a position to counter attack.

In two-step sparring you begin to learnt combinations. A two-technique combination is combined with moving into the opponent. You try to create an opening on the opponent while not creating openings on yourself.

Next is 3-step....combos of 3 techniques that create openings in the opponent's defense. The defenders develop their defensive skills by blocking the incoming attacks.

All movement up to this point in these step spaiing drills is linear. Next comes instruction in lateral movement. How to move left, right, and how to circle and angle.... both offensively and defensive.
Next ....free sparring!

Big Game
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shiho Karano Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys work variations? One thing I like about step sparring is being able to learn my distancing from my opponent. It helps you to know when your opponent is in range so you can deliver the most effective technique.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, not in step sparring but that is all covered in free sparring (which students begin to do 3-4 mos. into instruction)

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school does one-step sparring (but we just call them one-steps). However, we view it as more of artistic self-defense, and not an introduction to sparring.
Every belt from white to 2nd brown (2nd kyu) has a series of defenses to the one-step. They get more difficult and complicated as the belts progress, and help to improve reaction time. From white to 2nd brown, the attacker is punching only with his/her right hand, and the right leg forward.
1st brown (1st kyu) has what we call two-steps; basically, the attacker just steps a second time, putting left arm and leg forward. The 1st brown one-step reactions are every technique from white to 2nd brown, but mirrored.
Note: in my system's belt progression, 1st brown is higher than 2nd brown. That causes a lot of confusion for some people.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we do step sparring at TKD, i beleive its part of grading requirements further up. ive only done 3 step so far.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: