Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: 'one year plateau' ? Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total

SuperMinh
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon, I've felt like you a year ago...
I had been studying kung fu for a while and still enjoyed it a lot. But then i had to go away for my studies and therefore, find a new place to learn martial arts...
I joined the first (claimed) kung fu club in my university.
After a month, i was still doing front kicks and learning how to make a fist (understand me, i'm not saying it's a bad thing. But i've done that for years before and the instructor knew i could do all the stuff their higher belts were doing). I've asked him many times to let me stick to the higher grades stuff but he wanted none of it. I was very frustrated at that time and decided to quit the club.
I finally got to a kickboxing club where i still enjoy practicing every week.

Going back to the subject, i think that we tend to forget that there are bull...t clubs and instructors out there. Just because someone is a x-dan black belt doesn't mean he's the best instructor of the world. Some of them are literally trying to impair your development so that you don't get better than them...
My advice is, if it's been going like that for years, it probably won't change over the night: quit and find another club.

SuperMinh

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see two issues here. One is about instructors who do not teach new techniques over time.
The other is over time does a student begin to feel complacent and start feeling stale.

If you are in a dojo where you feel you are not learning and not progressing because of and instructor who is not teaching anymore it is perhaps best to go find a new dojo.

I really have not heard the second issue being expressed.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a crap dojo duder. Go somewhere else.

Angus

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say get the heck outa there, the instructor sounds like he doesn't give a crap about his students

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon, a few times Ive gotten into a rut as you described. My little rut would last a week or two then I would have a week or two where I would learn alot. Perhaps it has to do with taking one class a week. (I train 3-4 days a week when the wife and kids let me)I know when I take more than 4 or 5 days off it Im stiff and a little off for a couple of days. I find that I tend to learn in spurts. All are different, good luck to you if you do not enjoy where you are training, it might be time to move on.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the reason why you should leave your current school isn't necessarily because the dojo/kwoon/dojang is one of those commercialized schools involving half-a$$ed instructors (which, in turn, produce half-a$$ed practitioners). My old kung fu school was very traditional and taught/covered a variety of different aspects of Shaolin kung fu, including long fist forms, weapon forms, ground fighting, full-contact sparring, and bag and air drills. However, I wanted to narrow down my focus a bit more and I felt that the school's main emphasis focused too much on full-contact. I have no problem with developing your full-contact skills, but it just wasn't my utmost priority concerning the martial arts. Plus I will have to admit that I am much more drawn to forms, weaponry, and drills over wrestling on the ground with sweaty guys. So you could say that I do not exactly embrace every aspect of the art I was studying. So I left an incredibly good school with very solid instruction to find another place which would offer me more specific and narrowed-down training. Just trying to put in another perspective/view on how things could work out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, BJJ is a good choice...

There's not many bad BJJ schools cos there are simply not many BJJ schools fullstop! Plus it's really hard to get up the ranks of BJJ. Purple belt's hard enough to get to.

Angus

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Bon on Sun Sep 29, 2002 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: