Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vasilist
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: open hand hook Reply with quote

hello, i am a rookie in boxing (i practise for 1 year with pauses)

and i do it for 3 things

1-self defense
2-fun (like a hobby)- so i avoid, even sparring
3- to teach me patience and give me fighting spirit

after that said, i dont really care for correct sport technique, i just wanna be sure that i dont harm my body and that i can defend myself

i always liked the wide hooks and the closed uppercuts, because they seemed more close to my natural style
i recently wanted to start training in open handed hooks (wide or closed)
to protect my knuckle and have the knuckles more like a finishing move if i cant do otherwise

basically my question is, about how will i strike with the open hand in hook-like motion? should the thumb point floor or roof?

ps, its not that i am a punk and picking on fights, i never fought, just improving myself

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's similar to a galopante, where we turn our body sideways into a lunge perpendicular to the target and use the twist and movement to sling our arm around. Thumb up, arm loose, try to connect with the whole hand centered on the palm heel. Peak impulse based technique, high surface area, low penetration because of the large amount of surface, which means that the tissue that is going to be affected will mostly be surface blood vessels and nerves, though damage to the jawbone or acceleration injury to the brain is not unlikely.

If you turn the hand to be thumb down, you are having to pull it in much more tightly in order to present the palm heel at a sufficiently oblique angle; at that point you are probably better off just pulling the hand in a bit further and using the elbow to strike.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice explanation, Justice. Good advise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: