Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:

I had been sharing the URL from the address bar, but it was the album on my dojo's Facebook page which is completely public. Here is the link you asked for from my version of the album: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2890659032687.2113238.1446572428&type=3&l=d5e4b8f5cc

Cool can see the photos now. Looks like it was a good event with a pretty decent turnout. What did you guys do? Just go for it or decide before each match whether you'd be just striking, just grappling or anything goes?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Wastelander wrote:

I had been sharing the URL from the address bar, but it was the album on my dojo's Facebook page which is completely public. Here is the link you asked for from my version of the album: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2890659032687.2113238.1446572428&type=3&l=d5e4b8f5cc

Cool can see the photos now. Looks like it was a good event with a pretty decent turnout. What did you guys do? Just go for it or decide before each match whether you'd be just striking, just grappling or anything goes?

Nobody showed up besides our dojo and one White Crane guy who wrestles really had enough grappling experience to really roll, so we either did striking only or MMA style sparring depending on who we were with. We all kept the contact fairly light, really, with the exception of a couple rounds with some of the more experienced people, and it was a lot of fun.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pics. My dojo used to do this every once in awhile but unfortunately it never seemed to go that well. Nothing bad ever happened but at times it seemed like there some uncomfortable vibes in the air.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoGiant wrote:
Awesome pics. My dojo used to do this every once in awhile but unfortunately it never seemed to go that well. Nothing bad ever happened but at times it seemed like there some uncomfortable vibes in the air.

This is something that's caused me to be a little hesitant in trying to host one with the two other local schools. One we've got connections to by knowing the instructor before he began training, having trained with him etc. The other, I am not comfortable with due to some issues/comments that have come up through community gossip. This is despite having been invited to help with some training at the dojo before, things have changed since.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics. It looks like you were having all kinds of fun! Maybe next time you'll get a more deversified turnout.

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic pics. If only once, my dojo would do this. We only do point sparring when a tournament is coming up. Every other time, we do free sparring.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FangPwnsAll7 wrote:
Epic pics. If only once, my dojo would do this. We only do point sparring when a tournament is coming up. Every other time, we do free sparring.

Thanks! We are having another one of these on August 25th, so if anybody from the forum is in the Phoenix, AZ area that day you are welcome to stop by!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

TravsintheMartialArts
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Aikido, Tang Soo Do, Karate, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome pictures! This event sounds totally fantastic. I would love to do something like this if I ever get the chance. It can be difficult to get folks together from several different styles and avoid the typical egotistical crap and overcompetitive attitude. To have real, sincere, full(ish) contact sparring without all the griping, whining, and cheap shots is a rare and valuable form of training. Kudos on pulling that off, can't wait to check out the blog!

...Blah, gotta get my butt out to Phoenix.

darksoul
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool pictures! I would have loved to take part in that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: