Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Open training question... Reply with quote

In boxing you walk in to the gym during opening hours and trainer will give the student 10 minutes of personal time and move on to the next student and afterwards they will keep an eye on you. I am curious if in the dojo setting would students have to wear uniforms for open training or is it more casual?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d assume it depends on the dojo. If they’re not required to wear a uniform during open mat (and the like) times, I’m sure they’d have an appropriate clothing policy. I don’t think a BJJ school would be happy with people rolling in jeans and shoes.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open time is still dojo time; gi required. Seems like an unfair strictness policy but the floor is the floor irregardless, in which respect of it is quite necessary class or not. Ether way, training is happening, and when on the floor training, gi required unless the CI says otherwise, which isn't often.

Yeah, we seem to be the prissy stuffy bunch, don't we!?

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether a martial arts school or boxing gym, there are no rules or guidelines that apply everywhere. The way of doing things correctly depend on whoever is in charge of the place and the only way to know what to do or how to prepare is the simplest and most obvious: ask the one in charge of the place about open training directly!

Expect to need/bring the minimum gear such as training wear and safety gear. Better over prepared than not at all.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Open time is still dojo time; gi required. Seems like an unfair strictness policy but the floor is the floor irregardless, in which respect of it is quite necessary class or not. Ether way, training is happening, and when on the floor training, gi required unless the CI says otherwise, which isn't often.

Yeah, we seem to be the prissy stuffy bunch, don't we!?

I respect that!

I have been in MMA gyms when my boxing trainer was renting space and if a place is too causal with their dress code and language then the conduct tends to become compromised. Hence you got to set the tone!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a lot of open call time with instructors around, but if a student wants to come in and train on their own when the room is open, then they don't have to wear a full do-bak. Usually, the do-bak pants and a t-shirt is the norm; everyone likes the way they kick in a do-bak, and the t-shirt option is nice. But, if someone works out in sweats or shorts and a t-shirt, then that's ok too, as long as it isn't class time.

We've done kicking classes in the past where we've worn the do-bak pants and a t-shirt, as well. It's not a "traditional" class, but is still pretty structured.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might vary school to school and also the martial art they do. When I trained a lot in BJJ they said to either wear your Gi or your Rashy + Shorts (No Gi).

At my karate club we don’t really do Open Mat, but my sensei is open to the idea. He would say to wear what is appropriate for what your training for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: