Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jiffy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you mean. The first question to ask yourself would be "why"

Is it money, fame, control, desire to spread knowledge?????

In any case, you can't start a franchise without reputation. Start a school that can first sustain a full time income for you. That will probably take you a minimum of 5 years if you're lucky. Then as the other guys said, figure out what benefits you can offer peope who also have a school.

Son Goku the monkeyking
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tan tui kung-fu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiffy wrote:
I understand what you mean. The first question to ask yourself would be "why"

Is it money, fame, control, desire to spread knowledge?????

In any case, you can't start a franchise without reputation. Start a school that can first sustain a full time income for you. That will probably take you a minimum of 5 years if you're lucky. Then as the other guys said, figure out what benefits you can offer peope who also have a school.

i actually kinda wanted to open up a franchise, for three reasons, 1) control, a lil bit of fame, and i wanted to pursue a martial arts oriented career, and aside from getting my face smashed in by becoming a UFC fighter, or a pride fighter this is one of the best reasons, plus martial arts is ( aside from drawing, anima, and manga, and girls and more girls) is one of my passions. and in a martial arts world that is run primerly by the regular, run of the mill karate dojo, i whould love to bring more popularity to a style that u see alot on TV and movies, but is not taught in america as much as other styles.

PEACE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ovine king
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: noodle fu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

things you see in movies are taught widely around the US.
it's aclled wushu, or extreme martial arts.

JWLuiza
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do and Jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are lucky because you have an idea of what you want in life, but you might think of an association as opposed to a franchise... Basically you need credibility and supporters. Like others have said, you need to start with the first step: Open a club.

Pride&Poise
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won (now); Tae Kwon Do (15 years ago)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understood you right, you're thinking of starting your own school/academy, then franchising it later. That makes sense, unless you already have a ton of cash to invest, or a popular name that somebody will pay to be associated with.

If you're in it for the passion, then I think you have a better chance of success than if you were primarily looking for money/fame.

Now, I don't have any direct experience with starting a school, but its in the back of my mind to consider later, when I think I might be ready to do something like that.

My thoughts are to start small and build a "following" of some kind. Rent a small storefront or perhaps some time at a local rec center and teach out of there. You could also try teaching through your local college's adult education programs.

Once you've picked up a few students, then it might be time to look into a full-fledged studio, and build from there.

Of course, if you have the cash to get through the early times, you could try opening up a full studio right away, but I'd think that's more risky, and you're going to have to be willing and able to lose some money for awhile.

It would probably also help, if possible, to work with your current instructor. Assuming you aren't opening a studio right next to his of course. He might be able to help you get some students. People who might be interested but are closer to your location than his (and of course you would do the same for him...). Maybe he could do some demos and seminars at your studio, or in your area to help promote your school, giving you some credibility.

It seems to me that word of mouth is very important for MA schools, so anything that will help in this area, like the support of your instructor, would help.

I don't know, just some random thoughts. Good luck.

ki master
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: muay thai, kung fu, soo bak, ju-jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

commercial internet. and benifets. give them discounts for first few students. Cheap but not too cheap good locations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: