Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ninjanoir78
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marmaduke wrote:
Interesting. I ordered the Tokaido brand and they sent me a Shureido instead. Its about $1.50 more. I'm guessing they may have been out of the Tokaido. Real nice belt. 11 rows of stitching. Thick belt. stitching looks real good. Even all the way.
Now, ask me in a few years how it wears.

So... How is your belt, do you have a shureido BST-C or C2? I mean regular coton(bst-c) or extra wide and thick (bst-c2) or in satin ? is it with embroidery? The service with doshin is good?

Ninjanoir78
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NidaninNJ wrote:
Tokaido and Hirota make the best belts. They are expensive but worth it especially if you want your name written in Japanese on it. You can get them directly from Japan through a couple places like tokaidojapan.com and kuroobiya.com

Do you have hirota belt?? if so, what kind?

do you prefer hirota or tokaido (quality belt and embroidery)

Holland
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original shureido is now 15 years old and it has held up well. Frayed but still good looking.

You will enjoy that obi.

mjh1969
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, I just bought a Shureido belt.

SLK59
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KI International High Quality Black Belt, 100% cotton, 1 3/4" width and 12 rows of stitching. Price begins at $23.00, plus $36.00 for stitching on both ends. Excellent belt!

mjh1969
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLK59 wrote:
KI International High Quality Black Belt, 100% cotton, 1 3/4" width and 12 rows of stitching. Price begins at $23.00, plus $36.00 for stitching on both ends. Excellent belt!

Agreed I actually went down to the KI warehouse in Inglewood, CA last year and purchased one of them. Very nicely made belt. It's a simple durable belt as well, worth the money.

Sailor Sindbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kobayashi Shorin-ryu, Shotokan, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that I'm thinking about, as I'm getting closer to brown belt. Things I'm thinking about first:

1. It appears that, at my dojo (ISKF Shotokan), you're given a plain cotton black belt (of the same brand and product lineup as the colored belts) upon reaching shodan. At nidan, you're gifted an embroidered 1.5 inch cotton Tokaido belt.

2. I don't know whether or not I'd be required to wear the plain cotton belt for the duration of the time that I'm a shodan, or if I can upgrade it myself if I want. There are two people in my class ahead of me (the lower of which is six months ahead), so I'm going to watch what they do.

3. Even if I'm required to wear the plain belt until reaching nidan, I don't think I'd want the Tokaido belt that's gifted to nidans. I'd want a 1.75 inch satin or silk belt that wears. In lieu of dan bars or coral/red belts (which Shotokan does not have), I would like to have something to show for my experience as I train beyond shodan.

The bottom line, of course, is whether or not it would be considered disrespectful to buy your own belt if you don't like the one that's gifted to you. Is there a general answer on that?
Judo, 2023: Novice
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, 2023 - Present: White Belt

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our dojo you're given a plain cotton black belt when you reach shodan. Most of our adult students have purchased an embroidered belt to match their own tastes. We generally get our style in kanji on one end (Uechi Ryu or Uechi Ryu Karatedo) and our name in katakana on the other end. I personally purchased a kaataro belt mainly because they can do longer belts, and also because they have the widest range of coloured stitching. I opted for "soft" 1.75" belt and their metallic blue stitching:

I've now had it for a little over a year and it's held up very well.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Sindbad wrote:
This is something that I'm thinking about, as I'm getting closer to brown belt. Things I'm thinking about first:

1. It appears that, at my dojo (ISKF Shotokan), you're given a plain cotton black belt (of the same brand and product lineup as the colored belts) upon reaching shodan. At nidan, you're gifted an embroidered 1.5 inch cotton Tokaido belt.

2. I don't know whether or not I'd be required to wear the plain cotton belt for the duration of the time that I'm a shodan, or if I can upgrade it myself if I want. There are two people in my class ahead of me (the lower of which is six months ahead), so I'm going to watch what they do.

3. Even if I'm required to wear the plain belt until reaching nidan, I don't think I'd want the Tokaido belt that's gifted to nidans. I'd want a 1.75 inch satin or silk belt that wears. In lieu of dan bars or coral/red belts (which Shotokan does not have), I would like to have something to show for my experience as I train beyond shodan.

The bottom line, of course, is whether or not it would be considered disrespectful to buy your own belt if you don't like the one that's gifted to you. Is there a general answer on that?

To the bolded; i'm a Nidan myself and have been an Instructor for close to 20 years. Personally I don't believe that it is disrespectful to buy your own belt.

Generally people I know will just go with what their given, but for me I give all my Black Belt/Dan Grade Candidates a choice when it comes to receiving a new belt. They can choose the Brand, Style (ie Satin, Cotton etc) and also Color of the writing of their Name.

For me, when I was promoted to Shodan-Ho my club awarded everyone an Adidas Black Belt regardless if they opted for names to be put on the belt. All grades after that, we don't provide new belts unless they are given a special belt - ie 1/2 Black 1/2 Red or the "Candy Cane" Belt. Or if they are receiving a Menko Kaiden or a Hakama.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailor Sindbad wrote:

To the bold type above...

Yes!! My general answer is this...It's just a belt!!

How one covets the belt is of a personal choice, of which, should be respected by others.

Imho!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: