Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
Kuma wrote:

Michael Janich . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWmRWjDhYw

Going right to 3:00 and watching what follows is eye-opening.

I agree...very eye opening!

Mistassailant5
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kung Fu, Muay Thai, and Aikido

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very weird how he does it and his super slapping could be a good DISTRACTION method, but that wouldnt cause any real damage.

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are gonna get cut. My opinion. simple. Time to be a track star!!!

StrangeBacon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shinkido-Tai Karate, Aikido, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with alot of the responses in that if the attacker knows how to use the knife you better know how to run, and if worst came to worst take your belt off

In response to the video, the strikes are sloppy and there isnt any control of the attackers knife hand, at one point he even leans into the attackers knife....

"Seek peace in every moment, yet be prepared to defend your very being"

"Does the river dwell on how long it will take to become the ocean..." - Sensei Bruce Payne

www.shinkido.co.uk

isshinryu5toforever
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshin-Ryu Karate, Jidokwon Taekwondo, Kyokushinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looking at the clip, it doesn't look like anything effective was shown. A number of things are wrong with the video, mostly there is zero commitment by the attacker, and the defender looks like he's basically chain punching with a knife in his hand. I have my own issues with chain punching, but that's a different thread. Meanwhile, he should probably be getting stabbed in the neck while he's moving inside, because he doesn't care about controlling the knife hand, and he moves himself from outside the attack to inside. As someone said before, he seems to assume that by slicing the guy's arm first, he is disarming him. I think most knife defense taught is horrible, but it's because it's done for demonstrations and it looks cool. Very little of it looks like it's intended to work in a real situation.

All in all, I'd listen to someone that does Kali in the Philippines before I'd listen to just about anyone else.

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

JiuJitsuNation
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: BJJ Judo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this, the old boy is fast. And if he has that type of commitment he will either come out with some minor wounds or end up in the ER or dead with the other guy.

As far as being deadly, my uncle lived in Mexican town in Detroit and was stabbed 9 times on 7 occasions in his own yard before moving away. As many people are stabbed and shot to death, there are countless others who survive both. The statistics would be interesting to see.

Kensei723
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shinkendo, Hyoho Niten Ichi-Ryu, GFT (Ground Fighting Techniques), and a little Tae kwon-do

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Knife combat Reply with quote

Knife - knife combat is not at all unrealistic, especially in an urban area. Brandishing a knife is the single most common mistake people make. A true knife fighter has no knife as far as the enemy is concerned.
“In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit.” - Miyamoto Musashi

Why is the sky blue? Because God loves the infantry! Why does God love the infantry? Because we get to Heaven first!

dwarf2
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was teaching we went and got yellow magic markers and white shirts at the good will store on a saturday because that is when a long white sleeved shirt would be about 35 cents and we put on eye protection and went at it . I got cut every time and my students got cut . I had people come in and tell me they could take away the knife and i would have someone who had not been doing it very long do it and marks on the shirts dont lie . This also helped my students and i get better with a knife. It wasn't if we got cut, it was whether we survived being cut or stabbed, and there is a difference , plus the location of the cut or stab will surely make a difference.

Liver Punch
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Pro Wrestling, Gun-Fu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwarf2 wrote:
When i was teaching we went and got yellow magic markers and white shirts at the good will store on a saturday because that is when a long white sleeved shirt would be about 35 cents and we put on eye protection and went at it . I got cut every time and my students got cut . I had people come in and tell me they could take away the knife and i would have someone who had not been doing it very long do it and marks on the shirts dont lie . This also helped my students and i get better with a knife. It wasn't if we got cut, it was whether we survived being cut or stabbed, and there is a difference , plus the location of the cut or stab will surely make a difference.

We still do the same thing, and it's a super valuable training tool. The type of attack and attacker stand to vary a great deal in regards to knife fighting. If at all possible, I think you should have a knife or a firearm ready to deploy at any moment, with just a seconds notice. The Phillipino arts are a phenomenal resource for blades, but seem to focus on things with a fair amount of length. The offense and defense used in prisons during these types of attacks have a lot of merit to them. I'd gamble on an intelligent commitment versus fancy dancing any day.

I'd like to add that assuming I can sidestep an attack as easily as this guy does, slapping and slashing are not going to be my mode of operations. I'd cut his weapon hand and repeatedly stab the ribcage until the threat was no longer present.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:

As to knife v. knife I think that a review of incidents would hold up that most knife altercations don't go that route. However, you could seriously alter those percentages in your case if you trained in carrying a blade regularly for deployment.

Size of blade and type shouldn't matter in a well devised system. What's more important is the durabilbuty of the blade, sharpness, and skill of the user. Two inches of well honed, solid folder or small fixed blade will open lots of wound channel.

I carry a folder in my pocket, and usually walk with one hand in said pocket on the knife. Takes about a second to have it out. So knife vs knife could happen.

My Smith and Wesson folder will go through a heavy coat, tee shirt and five layers of duct tape with a quick slash. A dull kitchen knife I tried barely went through a tee shirt. So keep them sharp and oiled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: