Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Opinions please Reply with quote

This is a video of a 9 year old (or younger) black belt girl doing a double nunchauku kata...what do you think?

I'll make my comments in a few days after everybody else gets a chance to post.

*****NEVER MIND...I can't find the video now..please erase this thread...sorry

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Last edited by Montana on Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Montana, there's no link in that post. Try editing it with the URL
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the video but I will go ahead and say this. When you have kids that young they do not understand MA, they are simply looking at it like a sport, they treat it like baseball or gymnastics. I think instructors promote kids to this level for publicity and nothing more. No child should have a BB, the mental capacity that you should have with that rank is not even possible at a young age. Further I feel the same way about the videos posted as "best karate ever!" and it's a lady who kicks over her head 400 times in 2 minutes. Is she a great athlete? sure, very fit? absolutely, but is this MA? No, it is not, this is rhythmic gymnastics the only difference is that she is wearing a belt. My words are harsh but I am pretty passionate about this topic because I feel that MA is a life style, not a sport, some don't see it that way (and that's fine) but I do.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Last edited by chiliphil1 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiliphil1 wrote:
I haven't seen the video but I will go ahead and say this. When you have kids that young they do not understand MA, they are simply looking at it like a sport, they treat it like baseball or gymnastics. I think instructors promote kids to this level for publicity and nothing more. No child should have a BB, the mental capacity that you should have with that rank is not even possible at a young age. Further I feel the same way about the videos posted as "best karate ever!" and it's a lady who kicks over her head 400 times in 2 minutes. Is she a great athlete? sure, very fit? absolutely, but is this MA? No, it is not, this is rhythmic gymnastics the only difference is that she is wearing a belt. My words are harsh but I am pretty passionate about this topic because I feel that MA is a life style, not a sport, some don't see it that way (and that's fine) but I do.

EXACTLY! That video was of a young girl wearing a black gi basically twirling 2 nunchaku around (flash, no substance) and doing backflips and cartwheels. She won the all around tournament grand champion weapons kata. Sorry, but I call poo-poo on that sort of stuff.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way children are desensitized towards violence in general, it is foolishly irresponsible to allow a child to handle a weapon. The child in the video may show a high level of dexterity, but it is highly doubtful that her understanding is any deeper than mere performance to impress an audience with pretty choreography and acrobatic dance.

hansenator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
With the way children are desensitized towards violence in general, it is foolishly irresponsible to allow a child to handle a weapon. The child in the video may show a high level of dexterity, but it is highly doubtful that her understanding is any deeper than mere performance to impress an audience with pretty choreography and acrobatic dance.

That's the nature of the sport she's competing in. Like it or not, it isn't about self-defense or deep understanding. Kata competitions of that nature are a performance, similar to gymnastics, where you display precision and athletic achievement. I didn't see the video but it sounds like she does it very well. Instead of criticizing, we should applaud her for what she has achieved.

Titanium
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado-Kai & Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a similar thing on Facebook at present with a young boy.
Playing with weapons and watching MA films does not contribute as training or skill - mere copying.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not this one is it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYXi8_Db_Ow

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, and all, but is what they're doing effective. Stick a Bo in the middle of all of that fancy smancy stuff, then the Nunchaku is void.

Still, in the competitions that these are usually viewed in, their context is right there, and quite impressive; not all can do all of that tricking stuff and then some. I respect them. It takes some guile to not constantly drop anything doing all of the tricking.

Copying? Might be? I was watching the mechanics and saw nothing effective except what can happen when the body meets inertia: PAIN/DISCOMFORT/OUCH!!

liger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: RyobuKai (Shindo Jinen Ryu)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say it looks cool.

As others have said these doesn't seem to be very effective.

This is were I have to ask the question what is your personal MA Journey and beliefs. Do you like trick/extreme sports MA's this is for you. If you want traditional MA then go else where. I believe everyone one has there own journey and different things they want to get out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: