Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

Confession time: I work in B2B sales and have a customer who I knew was a diehard fan of my local rugby team. A few years ago I had to spend a long car journey alone with them so looked up some of the latest news from that team to discuss in the car. Turns out I was so convincing he decided I must be a major fan! Everytime we talk he brings up the latest game and there was never a good point to correct him. I'm trapped in this vicious cycle of researching them every time we talk which only confirms to him that I know all about them! It's gotten to the point where he even tells other people how much of a fan I am and regularly gets in touch to discuss the team. I haven't had the heart to dispel the myth

That's really funny. I don't think we're alone. Years ago, I was a high school substitute teacher. One day I subbed for the varsity basketball coach whose team won the night before. My day was among the boy's gym coaches. I was amazed at how the coaches interacted with each other. For the first 4 hours of the day, all they talked about was the game the night before. That was understandable. But the weird part was, after they exhausted the discussion about game, not one man said one word to another for the rest of the day. It was sad that these guys who worked side by side couldn't find anything to speak to one another outside of that game. I know most guys aren't like that, but that was really odd.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@patrick what i meant was, when people are watching a specific sport on tv then there's an interest for this sport. but not in doing it themselves, thats strange to me.
that baseball is that popular out of the usa surprises me. but here in germany at least there's a similar game called "schlagball" which means something like "hit ball" or "strike ball".

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood that, MAfreak. No worries. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always played sports!

Most of my adult life, I've played a game called wallyball (volleyball with walls). It's played on a racquetball court. You string a net across the middle and put a team of 2 or 3 players on each side. The rules are pretty similar to volleyball with additional rules about using the walls. I've played in leagues and traveled to tournaments, although not very far.

As a young adult, I mostly played racquetball and beach volleyball. I played baseball from Little League through high school and football in high school.

I've never been a big sports fan. I'll watch something from time to time, but I rarely go out of my way to do so. I'd much rather play than spectate.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnASE wrote:

Most of my adult life, I've played a game called wallyball (volleyball with walls). It's played on a racquetball court. You string a net across the middle and put a team of 2 or 3 players on each side. The rules are pretty similar to volleyball with additional rules about using the walls. I've played in leagues and traveled to tournaments, although not very far.

As a young adult, I mostly played racquetball and beach volleyball. I played baseball from Little League through high school and football in high school.

I've never been a big sports fan. I'll watch something from time to time, but I rarely go out of my way to do so. I'd much rather play than spectate.

i used to love walleyball! I played volleyball (beach and indoor) for years before blowing my knee out in a game. I miss it greatly!
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
JohnASE wrote:

i used to love walleyball! I played volleyball (beach and indoor) for years before blowing my knee out in a game. I miss it greatly!

I wholeheartedly agree!!

JohnASE
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:

Seriously? You don't often run across people who have heard of it, let alone played! May I ask where?

My home court used to be in Studio City, California, but we play in Sherman Oaks, now. I've played in tournaments hosted by a defunct San Diego group. There, I played with teams from Mission Viejo, Marina del Rey, and Lancaster (or Palmdale or somewhere out there), and I think someone came from Canada and someone from New York.

Sorry to her about your knee problems. They can be tough. I probably don't have much cartilage left in mine. Many of us have issues. One woman tore her ACL and had it replaced. She plays with a brace now. Several have dropped out with joint problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: