Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: other sports? Reply with quote

we had a similar topic about our non-martial arts related hobbies,
but i wanted to be more specific, what other sports do you like and are they in any way a good addition to your martial arts training?

i guess we all do a general fitness training for gaining muscle mass etc.,
i personally also like playing basketball, volleyball, badminton and such, which can be a good agility training. furthermore i love to cycle my mountain bike through the woods which is a good cardio and leg strength training.
that doesn't mean i do it very often or i am overly good at all that, but it can't always be.
however when i think i can do something funny with it, i like to make short videoclips.
http://home.arcor.de/flash666/sports-vines.htm

now you.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my growing up years, my dad was a salesman & dealt with the public all day, every day. He didn't really like sports, but watched it on the news every night, so he'd have something to talk with other men about. "How 'bout them Cubs?" (White Sox, Blackhawks, or whatever Chicago team was doing well at the time) was always a good ice breaker with men that came in to buy something. I grew up not really caring too much about sports.

When I got into MA, I discovered PKA kickboxing. Then boxing, then MMA, Judo & wrestling. If it's a combat sport, I'll probably watch it. Otherwise, probably not.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy playing sports in general. Used to play baseball when I was younger. These days, I mostly play golf.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, baseball. the sport no one outside of america knows how it works. just a saying.
watching sports but don't be interested in doing it self i don't understand but many (or most?) people do so. or play it on the playstation without feeling like trying themselves. maybe from a specific age its just difficult to learn something new. so when i was standing on a skateboard some month ago i must have looked like a clown.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch football (🏈) and ice hockey. If there's ever any judo, karate, kickboxing on I'll watch it. I have no interest in football (⚽) or rugby.
Not a fan of mma either.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sports and martial arts are two separate and unrelated things for some people but the two have one point in common which is intense physical activity. Personally, martial arts are the only physical activity of any sustained interest. However, anything that can be done outdoors in a natural environment is very enjoyable whenever the weather and season allows it like: cycling, jogging, rollerblading etc..Also anything done on or in water like wind-surfing and swimming/diving/snorkeling

MAfreak
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo martial arts are sports. some chinese styles are kinda gymnastics,
others include combat sports like kumite in karate and kyorugi in taekwondo.
even styles described not to be a sport but a self-defense system, like krav maga, include fitness training and sparring.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcemanSK wrote:
During my growing up years, my dad was a salesman & dealt with the public all day, every day. He didn't really like sports, but watched it on the news every night, so he'd have something to talk with other men about. "How 'bout them Cubs?" (White Sox, Blackhawks, or whatever Chicago team was doing well at the time) was always a good ice breaker with men that came in to buy something. I grew up not really caring too much about sports.

this is exactly why I watch sports!!

Confession time: I work in B2B sales and have a customer who I knew was a diehard fan of my local rugby team. A few years ago I had to spend a long car journey alone with them so looked up some of the latest news from that team to discuss in the car. Turns out I was so convincing he decided I must be a major fan! Everytime we talk he brings up the latest game and there was never a good point to correct him. I'm trapped in this vicious cycle of researching them every time we talk which only confirms to him that I know all about them! It's gotten to the point where he even tells other people how much of a fan I am and regularly gets in touch to discuss the team. I haven't had the heart to dispel the myth

Anyway to the original question! I used to play tennis and netball and swim as my other sports when I was a kid but TKD eventually took over. Now I go to the gym but still enjoy most sports. Will watch whatever sports are on TV but don't follow any in particular.

Other physically activities can only be beneficial to MA. Especially when it comes to kids. I went on a course recently on Youth Development run by a couple of Olympic coaches, and the take home message was that the best athletes in later life are those that did lots of different sports as kids.

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played sport a lot at university - cricket, rugby (both codes), ice hockey, fencing, boxing, futsal and competitive indoor climbing. Unfortunately in the real world there just aren't that many opportunities for playing amateur sport. My local cricket club selects its members from local colleges and universities so if you don't get selected early you can't play, and that is just a village team, not county cricket. Golf costs thousands of pounds a year around here* so I am pretty much limited to a friendly kickabout in the park rather than playing in a team.

*although the greenkeeper doesn't start work until eight so dawn golfing trips in camouflage are still free...

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, Iceman and Danielle.

MAfreak wrote:
ah, baseball. the sport no one outside of america knows how it works. just a saying.
watching sports but don't be interested in doing it self i don't understand but many (or most?) people do so. or play it on the playstation without feeling like trying themselves. maybe from a specific age its just difficult to learn something new. so when i was standing on a skateboard some month ago i must have looked like a clown.

I would just say that there isn't much to understand, as far as people watching sports, other than the fact that people enjoy different things. We all have things that we like better and know more about. And then other stuff makes less sense to us.

For example, baseball, if that's your thing. It's actually quite popular in Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Panama, Canada, Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, Nicaragua, Colombia, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: