Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bulldawg
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Uechi-ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: out door training Reply with quote

So to start I'm just about 3 months into my Uechi Ryu journey. I think things are coming along nicely.

Just started working on Kanchu (our 3rd kata out of . Things are finally starting to click. I still have a lot to improve on but I don't always feel like I have 2 left feet. And my instructor is increasing the intensity when he tests my Sanchin.

Now to the point of the post. Since I joined after all the shutdowns from the Rona (here in NM we have some of the strictest gov't mandates). we have been training at a local park. Needless to say I've really enjoyed this type of training, with no Gis (just street clothes, though I wear on set of old Gi pants) No belts, no rankings. Just simply learning the material and hard training. It's also nice to be outdoors after working in an office all day.

That being said I'm looking forward to finally getting into the dojo (whenever that is). And continuing training in a more traditional atmosphere.

Does anyone else like or prefer outdoor/more informal training or do people generally prefer being in an actual dojo?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulldawg wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone else like or prefer outdoor/more informal training or do people generally prefer being in an actual dojo?

I'm impartial as to the given venue one way or another, although I gravitate toward the dojo more than the outdoors because habits are hard to die.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training outdoors has its advantages such as adapting to the kind of ground where one is most likely to be if ever self defense is unavoidable. In the other hand training outdoors, especially in public places it might be difficult to avoid distractions or unwanted and unsolicited attention from anyone who happens to pass by. As for myself, I do enjoy outdoor training but take great care to find a spot where few people are likely to pass by.

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In spring we had a period in Germany when indoor sports were still banned, but doing sports outdoors in groups of up to ten people (keeping a 5' distance from each other, no physical contact) was allowed, and we met in one of our member's backyard for traiining during that time. It wasn't too far from where I lived, so I usually combined it with a short run there and back. It was a bit strange to jog thourgh the neighbourhood in my gi, but there was also something very archaic and empowering in training outside. It felt very much in the kyokushin spirit (also, we were all very happy to be able to train together again at all, we had all missed that so much).

At the moment, COVID-19 numbers in Germany are rising steeply again, and we all fear a second lockdown. I guess in winter it would be a lot harder to train outside, not only because of the weather, but mostly because of a lack of daylight.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been training outdoors since March because the gym we operate out of is still restricted. While I enjoy outdoor training, I am looking forward to getting back into the Dojo once the gym re-opens*

*Note, because of the sun going down sooner and the weather getting colder we will have to train inside within the next couple of weeks anyway though we can't go back to the Dojo. We are looking at options right now.

Bulldawg
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
We have been training outdoors since March because the gym we operate out of is still restricted. While I enjoy outdoor training, I am looking forward to getting back into the Dojo once the gym re-opens*

*Note, because of the sun going down sooner and the weather getting colder we will have to train inside within the next couple of weeks anyway though we can't go back to the Dojo. We are looking at options right now.

we are a small school so my instructor rents time from another school. and the owner of the school won't let anyone in so we've been outside. with it getting darker earlier, it looks like we will be dropping our training to one day a week but 2.5 to 3 hours.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since shutting down from the Coronavirus, our CI has changed things up quite a bit, offering different learning experiences for different students. He started out with purely virtual learning (via zoom), and some outdoor classes. Once we had guidance to open in-person learning, he added that to the mix.

Right now, I'll take whatever training I can get. I prefer learning in the dojo, mainly because of the flooring. However, I'm happy to learn whatever and wherever our sensei teaches us.

As a fellow Uechi stylist, I have to admit that I'm surprised your instructor is teaching you Kanshu so early. The two katas are similar enough that if you don't have a very solid grasp of Kanshiwa, you'll start getting the two katas messed up.

One thing I'd recommend you talk to your instructor about (if you haven't already) is how to do forearm and shin conditioning on your own. Since we can't generally do partner drills during Coronavirus, it's best that you get some of that in on your own. Our school generally expects that by the time you reach brown belt (2 years or so in), your arms and shins are conditioned enough to tolerate reasonably heavy contact, and the drills at brown/black belt pretty much require it.

Good luck on your journey!!
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Bulldawg
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:

As a fellow Uechi stylist, I have to admit that I'm surprised your instructor is teaching you Kanshu so early. The two katas are similar enough that if you don't have a very solid grasp of Kanshiwa, you'll start getting the two katas messed up.

One thing I'd recommend you talk to your instructor about (if you haven't already) is how to do forearm and shin conditioning on your own. Since we can't generally do partner drills during Coronavirus, it's best that you get some of that in on your own. Our school generally expects that by the time you reach brown belt (2 years or so in), your arms and shins are conditioned enough to tolerate reasonably heavy contact, and the drills at brown/black belt pretty much require it.

Good luck on your journey!!

Honestly I was surprised too. He had mentioned he was gonna keep met with Sanchin/ Kanshiwa +Bunkai/Kumite 1/ Hojo Undo for a while, then randomly threw Kanshu in there the other day. They are pretty similar but I haven't gotten them confused.....yet.

We usually do kote kitae during training, but only if people feel comfortable being that close to each other.

thanks for the advice, I'll talk to him about that and see what he recommends.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I get older, I find that I'd much rather train indoors than out. Especially right now, as winter has pretty much arrived in west-central Kansas.

Wamp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ashihara Karate, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the dojo, but I can see some upsides to training outdoors. Training in the mountains away from the distractions of modern society would be nice. Maybe some shallow water creek or river kumite would be legit too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: