Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept a training log for a long time, not just for martial arts, but the other physical activities I do- cycling, weight training, jogging, archery. I might take time off or shift things seasonally- but a log lets me look at things in terms of volume, adaptation, progression, etc. It's a great tool for knowing when you're slacking off!

Undertraining doesn't have to be doing nothing- it could be doing the same thing over and over at a level that doesn't induce the training effect (workout is too easy or your body has adapted)

Overtraining could be simply too much volume (with subsequent fatigue, injury) or working on any one thing too much.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzKicker wrote:
I've kept a training log for a long time, not just for martial arts, but the other physical activities I do- cycling, weight training, jogging, archery. I might take time off or shift things seasonally- but a log lets me look at things in terms of volume, adaptation, progression, etc. It's a great tool for knowing when you're slacking off!

Undertraining doesn't have to be doing nothing- it could be doing the same thing over and over at a level that doesn't induce the training effect (workout is too easy or your body has adapted)

Overtraining could be simply too much volume (with subsequent fatigue, injury) or working on any one thing too much.
Very good points to consider JazzKicker; thanks for sharing.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this post. I used to be all about over training, if I wasn’t sore then I didn’t work hard enough kinda thing. After multiple injuries, I finally took a step back to look at what I was doing:
- gym 6x/week
- Karate 2-4x/week
- vinyasa yoga 3+x/week
This was too much. The yoga classes feel great, but they’re still a workout.

I finally backed off the weights. I’m now trying to hit everything twice a week. Gym 2x/karate 2x/yoga or kettlebell Circuit training 2x. However, here’s my workout:
- warmup on the treadmill
- dynamic stretching
- Heavy Squats, 2 warmup sets/3 working sets/1 higher rep
- Heavy Deadlift, same as squat but without the higher reps
- Upper Body Circuit with pull-up and pushup Variations
- cardio 12 minutes
- full body stretch

I like this, because it’s a full body workout that doesn’t leave me fatigued. When I was doing everything 3+x/week, it was just too much on my body and I feel much better now.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider any over-training and/or under-training a deep and personal decision made of that practitioner, no matter any advice received from near and/or afar. I decide how I will train, and will do so without any contestation, no matter how well intended any advice might or might not be.

I've endured many setbacks while doing one or another from time to time; either way, I learned something them all...with an open heart and mind. I'm more than aware of doing either, therefore, I pay very close attention to what my body tells me.

My point is this...the final decision belongs with the practitioner alone. While I don't need anyone to approve my choices, I do ask that my decision(s) are respected.

Like right now, I've a chest cold, and so I am not going to the gym and/or to the dojo until I get rid of this nagging chest cold...this, for lack of a better term, is, for me, under-training to the Nth degree.....quite frustrating.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: