Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Overtraining and Undertraining Reply with quote

Now you all may of heard these terms before, either on here or somewhere else.

It is important as martial artists to be aware of these terms, as we are susceptible to being affected by one or the other. As is anything sport and health related.

Undertraining is where you are training less than what you are supposed to, and can have a negative impact to your health. You may not become injured, but is similar to being inactive or sedentary.

Whereas Overtraining is defined as doing way too much training or doing something to excess and without sufficient rest. Athletes are often at risk of this especially around competition time.

The potential risks are burnout mentally, and also putting your body at risk of injury. These risks may appear as either very minor or severe, often as athletes or non-competitors not caring or taking extended amounts of time off.

But how do these impact us everyday martial artists?

It impacts us where we don't look after our level of training, too little or too much.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under-training before I started taking my TKD class 2 years ago. While I wasn't sedentary, I certainly did not get enough physical activity to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Once I started TKD, I found I was getting injured (shoulders pop out, strains high up in my hip and neck.)

I started PT on the shoulders, but the hip and neck still bothered me quite a bit. I kept stretching, and I tried leg lifts and kicking exercises try to get my hips strengthened. Well, the kicking exercises threw my back out.

What's the point of all this? Well when it came to my hips, I was probably not over-training, but I wasn't training properly.

I just had this thought - The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can cause:

Under-training - spending too much time on the internet

over-training - spending too much time trying to look like a fitness model

improper training - Hey, I should do that kicking exercise I saw that young'ish 5th dahn doing on YouTube.... Owww...

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is maintaining a personal balance of activity and recovery time. Personal means the training must be specific to one's physical capacities and goals. The other essential point is that training must be consistent and at regular intervals. Too much too soon is overtraining. So is training to collapse or failure without require recovery. The same can be said of doing anything before one is ready.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
The key is maintaining a personal balance of activity and recovery time. Personal means the training must be specific to one's physical capacities and goals. The other essential point is that training must be consistent and at regular intervals. Too much too soon is overtraining. So is training to collapse or failure without require recovery. The same can be said of doing anything before one is ready.

i.e., moderation is key!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stress-Recovery-Adaptation.

First, stress the body enough to trigger an adaptation. Then rest for the necessary amount of time, and after you have rested, your body should have adapted to the training you did.

That's the easy part. Tougher is implementing the plan. When one first starts off training in a Martial Art, less could be more. Start off with two classes a week, and get your body acclimated to the training. Once your body has adapted, add another class, and the benefits will keep on coming.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my almost 53 years on the floor, I'm quite sure that I under/over trained more than I care to remember, and admit for one reason(s) or another. As singularity6 has said..."moderation is the key".

Knowing when one is doing one or the other saves a lot of unnecessary time across the board. Oftentimes, I ignored the signals, in which, I paid for it dearly across the board; an expensive letter, for sure, to learn.

Whether it be from exuberance or not, they, from time to time, still occurred.

Knowledge and experience helped me to taper myself across the board.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undertraining is easy but I don't think most of us ever reach the point of genuine overtraining.

Overtraining is where training load exceeds recovery capacity. We're talking persistent fatigue, muscle soreness (+72 hrs), poor physical performance, coupled with mental fatigue.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Undertraining is easy but I don't think most of us ever reach the point of genuine overtraining.

Overtraining is where training load exceeds recovery capacity. We're talking persistent fatigue, muscle soreness (+72 hrs), poor physical performance, coupled with mental fatigue.

I had that a couple times. The most recent bout was in June. I had just returned to TKD (6 month break, almost no training during that time.) Our second class was a heavy leg day - 1.5 hours of kicks. I decided to do a brisk 3.5 mile hike (some decent hills) the day after. My legs were pretty useless for 2 days, and still sore after 4.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is over training and undertraining, due to not finding that middle ground balance 100% of the time.

Martial art priorities will change and evolve differently for each of us depending on goals and needs also age and health circumstances.

Finding and keeping in that middle training ground to keep growing, is good enough for a hobbyist like me.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, I over/under train on purpose; that's my decision alone; seems to have worked for me all of these many, many years.

Am I wrong, either way?!? Well, again, the decision either way is still my decision!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: